All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Holiday Wishes for the legitimate posters
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Holiday Wishes for the legitimate posters Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        Wishing everyone a peaceful and safe holiday season, and may it be free from spammers.

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        may your blades be sharp, your guards be sturdy, and all your cuts be straight. merry Christmas, whoopie Festivus, happy Hanukah, and party-on-whatever for the disagreers.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5823 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 1772 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Redoverfarm, is that your home? Did you build the horse corral playhouse for your son, the musician? It's adorable! It must be a special treat for your son. And what kind of grasses (?) are in the two furry balls in the next photo?

Thanks for sharing; it's nice to see the home of a regular contributor.

posted Hide Post
        GS those are Chestnut hulls and chestnuts. Yes these are in his bedroom. 4' space behind the kneewalls. We he was younger he spent many an hour playing with his tractors and farm sets.

This is my house
        http://i220.photobucket.com/al...cenes/100_4220-1.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1772 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Merry Christmas.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Merry Christmas all.

Posts: 324 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of crafdragon
        posted Hide Post
        A Very Merry Christmas to All of YOU!! And Happiest and Healthiest of New Years Too!!! Big Grin Cool

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!

Posts: 552 | Location: E.WA State, USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Festivus for the rest of us. Airing of the grievances begins soon.
        Number 1 grievance, SPAMMERS. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Redoverfarm, does the playhouse extend back "seamlessly" underneath the kneewalls? Looking at the set of photos, it seemed to end at the walls. Now I'm curious how you did this. When you built back into the kneewalls, what kind of support structure did you create around them? I don't know much about kneewall structure except what I've observed on mine, and that's that there is support at even distances from the floor to the base of the roof. Don't ask me the width of OC distances - I don't remember and it's been quite awhile since I opened the trap doors to check out what's going on behind the scenes.

It's an interesting idea though and has given me some ideas on what to do to make better use of my kneewalls. There's a lot of wasted space back there.

I've never seen chestnut growth; it's quite interesting, with shoots from all different angles. How do you start them? Do you nick the tip to expose the seed inside?

And thanks for sharing a photo of your very lovely house under a full moon. It's quite stylish (the house, although the moon is attractive too) Wink

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        Redoverfarm, does the playhouse extend back "seamlessly" underneath the kneewalls? Looking at the set of photos, it seemed to end at the walls. Now I'm curious how you did this. When you built back into the kneewalls, what kind of support structure did you create around them? I don't know much about kneewall structure except what I've observed on mine, and that's that there is support at even distances from the floor to the base of the roof. Don't ask me the width of OC distances - I don't remember and it's been quite awhile since I opened the trap doors to check out what's going on behind the scenes.

It's an interesting idea though and has given me some ideas on what to do to make better use of my kneewalls. There's a lot of wasted space back there.

I've never seen chestnut growth; it's quite interesting, with shoots from all different angles. How do you start them? Do you nick the tip to expose the seed inside?

And thanks for sharing a photo of your very lovely house under a full moon. It's quite stylish (the house, although the moon is attractive too) Wink

The barn playroom is actually on the gable end of the room. The small door on the right of the barn is an opening via the dormer space and was done just conventional framing as there was no weithload on that area. For the double doors I placed a header in the main room kneewall to allow the wider space for the dutch barn doors. I doubled the kneewall studs to the floor joist on either side including a cripple stud for the header. These were actually "attic trusses". The insulated wall to take the place of the kneewall insulated wall was moved back some 4 feet (plywood floor demensions) toward the outside wall (front of the house) and is only about 12-14" tall. Serves the same purpose but is just shorter. The attic rafter bay was insulated further down toward the eve to compensate for that space to be insulated as well. I drywalled the complete playroom which is about 4'X8'and added an undercounter light above the door on the inside. Green carpet for grass. The backside of the dutch doors was painted with chaulk board paint as an added touch to keep a growing boy occupied. The other doors show are just storage acccess doors in my daughters room and hallway in the Cape Cod style house. Most storage access was made at Dormer recess and I didn't have to penetrate the actual kneewall except on two occassions. I never calculated the amount of storage this creates but it was considerable. All full now. Ha.Ha.

The chestnuts have to be grown from the actual tree. They are Chinese Chestnuts because American Chestnuts died in the early 1900's. The hulls open up while still on the tree and the fruit (nuts) fall to the ground. Later the hulls fall as well.

I am in the process of building a garage apartment over my garage and have began framing for it in the same fashion. I will try to post the link for this project. Well I can't get it to work so I will just have to post a couple of individual photos. I will try later as the internet here is really slow now I guess because of the holiday.

posted Hide Post
        GS check your PM messages