All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Help please! Toilet leaking!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help please! Toilet leaking! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The toilet is leaking thru to the living room. There is no water on the floor around the toilet, but the supply line is wet, and it is going straight thru the floor to the room beneath, which is the living room. Removed a few wet ceiling tiles, some of the insulation is wet. I felt around the pipes in the ceiling, but didn't notice any wetness there, tho I am sure there is. Do you think I just need a new supply line, or could it be more? Thanks for your help!

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sight unseen it is going to be very hard to diagnose your problem. You may need to call in a plumber. But here are a few things to try.

1. Shut off the water to the toilet at the valve at the floor or the wall. Mop up all the water you have and determine if you still have a leak. If the leak stops it is between the valve and the toilet.

2. Check the valve for a leak around the stem. These can leak, usually a quarter turn or so on the nut will stop the leak.

3. Check to make sure the tank isn't cracked.

4. Is the tank sweating? During humid weather the colder tank can cause humidity in your house to condense on the tank. This generally isn't a problem if you are running air conditioning and reducing the relative humidity in your house.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 839 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Sparky, I have no water to mop up on the floor, it is not a cracked tank, that is why I'm thinking it may be the supply line, because that is the only thing that is wet besides what is underneath the floor, which is the living room ceiling. But thanks for your help.

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi xsil11,

From what you have stated, it seems as though the water happens to be coming the cold water line feeding the toilet. If you confirm that there are no leaks in the water line, I believe you have a condensation problem where the difference in temperature is causing the warm air around the water line condenses on the much colder water line and drips off and collects on the ceiling below.

To fix this you may need to install 1/2" foam insulation around the cold water line to insulate it and keep the warmer air away from the pipe. Doing this within the ceiling could be difficult. You can buy the 1/2" pipe insulation at most Big Box stores. Installing it may require you to open up the ceiling and sliding it on in sections and using black tape to hold it in place.

Below is a link to the type of pipe insulation I'm suggesting:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/1%2...520insulation?NCNI-5

Others may have additional ideas.

Good Luck!

Posts: 519 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Simply Me, I did notice when checking again, I did hear some dripping noises inside the tank, so I lifted the ball **** up a little and gently set It back in place, and the dripping noise stopped. The flapper seems to be in good shape, any more suggestions?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Dripping noises inside the tank can indicate a leaking system - but it's not the kind of leak that goes outside. It's more the type of leak that makes your toilet run on and on and on.

In addition to the advice already given, it's worth checking the tank bolts that hold the tank to the bottom half of the toilet. These bolts pass through washers that can degrade over time. If they are leaking, sometimes it's as easy a fix as just tightening them up. Sometimes you need to take the tank off and replace the washers. If these washers are leaking, the water can travel along the underside of the tank and then down the supply line, making it wet. Another trait of the leaking tank bolts is that it can be random - no leaks for awhile but then the tank gets moved just a bit and the leaks starts.

Sometimes finding things can come down to drying the entire area off very well and just hunkering down and watching things.

Jaybee

Posts: 10421 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To check for a leaky flapper put some food dye in the tank. If after 30 minutes the water in the bowl has changed colors, the flapper is leaking. Clean the seat for the flapper and replace.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 839 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If there is no water to be seen around the toilet and the leak is seen through the ceiling beneath the toilet, it seems to me that the wax seal between the toilet and the flange is leaking. Look for signs of moisture beneath the toilet.

Or ... is it possible that the leak is coming from another place -- shower, for example.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ok, here is what happened. I dried everything off, and noticed it is the plastic washer and nut on the bottom of the tank that is attached to the supply line. Shut the supply line off, dried everything off, drained all water out of the tank. The supply line IS different, its not flexible, it is a thin white pipe with a thin blue stem that is attached to the inside of the tank part (guts) ? Where the water refills into the tank. Anyway that part is no longer in the tank. BUT the supply line that is different is just a white thin plastic pipe, with a larger plastic nut then, that is connecting the rest of the pipe (supply line) ? Then that tavels the rest of the way down under the floor then elbows over to the right (this was dripping above the ceiling in the living room,the whole pipe) . So its like the" supply line" goes from this elbow straight up thru the bathroom floor then attaches to the tank. The pipe might be 1/4 of an inch in diameter. But it wasn't sweating, it is a leak, but not sure if it was from the part that was inside the toilet or not. It was very rough getting that part out of the toilet, trying to disconnect everything from the outside. But it was connected to the tank from the outside with a plastic nut and plastic washer. There is a large rubber round washer that is on the bottom of this part which fits to the bottom of the inside of the tank, it seems to be in good shape, so still not sure where the leak is coming from. But the water is turned off now, so I welcome any more suggestions anyone may have. I apologize for the long description, just wanted to try to be as clear about everything as possible. Anyone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xsil11,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Save yourself a lot of grief and get a new, flexible, braided supply line. Those stiff plastic supply lines have to be seated perfectly at the top to avoid leaking - hard to do as the stiff plastic has a life of it's own if it isn't exactly the correct length.

The flexible lines also have rubber washers inside the nuts at both ends, just about foolproof.

Jaybee

Posts: 10421 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So Jaybee, ur pretty sure it's the supply line then?

posted Hide Post
        Hi xsil11,

From what you have posted it appears that the connection between the water supply and the toilet water fill valve may be leaking. You may need to replace the washer which fits between the water fill valve and the water tank or the washer that connects between the water supply and the water fill valve.

To fix it you will want to purchase the needed parts. I recommend that you use parts found at the link below because they are constantly find new ways to keep up to day with replacement parts for the changes in toilets and make a ready supply of parts which most plumbing supply stores carry. This brand of toilet water fill vavlves is usually found in most big box stores and most plumbing supply stores.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our...es-toilet-parts.html

At the above line you will find replacement toilet water fill valves for a variety of toilets. Also on top of this page you will see different water supply connectors which they make. These water supply connectors are flexible and very easy for a DIY enthusiast to connect so they do not leak. Just choose the one with the proper ends for each connection as well as the length that you need to make to connect to the water supply. They also make replacement parts for various fixes that may be needed and these are readily available, making your job easier.

Below is a link to the above toilet water fill valve at a bog box store. You will find others at similar stores.

http://www.homedepot.ca/produc...et-fill-valve/959696

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!

Posts: 519 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks a lot Simply Me! I went to lowes today and got a water fill valve just like the one you had pictured, and also a flexible supply line, 12",hope its not too long, but also Teflon tape. .just cause I felt better having it whether it's used or not. .but I will have it all installed tonight by a friend. .I'll let u all know what happens. .thanks again everyone! Much appreciated!