All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Mounting my TRX to grage rafters
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Mounting my TRX to grage rafters Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advise on mounting my TRX workout system to my garage rafters. Mt garage ceiling is unfinished, I was thinking about installing a 2x4 across 4 or 5 raters in my garage, bolting it to the rafters with lag bolts then installing my TRX to the 2x4. The most weight it would have to hold is 200lbs. Does this sound like a good idea? I figure that laying a 2x4 over as many of the rafters/ceiling joist as I can will displace the weight over a wider area.

Any assistance provided will be greatly appreciated.
        -Will

picture of rafters

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since you have no drywall ceilings to crack with any movement and the load is only 200 pounds (plus some inertia load) it should work OK. Some things to note and to make it work better:

1. You have trusses, not rafters and a truss system is designed to take many weak parts and make them strong by tying them together. To make the truss stronger, add a 2x4 from the bottom cord of the truss running vertically up to the upper cord of the truss to tie the two together. Add this brace directly above your attachment area or on the outsides of the two trusses used in the description below.

2. Since your TRX only attaches at one point, adding a 2x4 will only enable you to spread the load over two trusses. I would take a 25-1/2" long 2x4 and install it flat ON TOP of the lower cord of two trusses. Then I would take a second 2x4 (22-1/2") and install it vertically under the first brace - screwing it to both bottom cords and into the upper brace. If you need a wider attachment area, you can stack a couple of 2x4's together to make a wider mounting surface.

3. If you want to spread the load out even further, then you'll need to install a stronger beam on top of the lower cord of three or more trusses. A double or triple 2x6 should work OK.

4. Depending on how much pull and strain you put on the TRX, you may want to add some diagonal bracing from the outside of the two trusses used to hold the TRX up to the next one or two trusses in line.

5. Note that if you do ever add a drywall ceiling, you will likely crack some joints when you use your TRX, even with all the bracing.

Jaybee

Posts: 10094 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee,
        Thank you so much for all your advice! I was wondering what you would recommend I use to attach the 2x4's to my existing truss system. Should I use nails & glue or screws? or maybe that mesh screen looking stuff that attaches with nails?
        -Will

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'd go with 3" decking screws. You are going to have a lot of movement with using your equipment and nails could pull loose over time.

Just to repeat - for the brace piece that will span between two truss lower cords - make the top piece long enough so that it fits on top of the lower 2x4 of the truss. This way it cannot even pull loose with all your downward pulling.

Jaybee

Posts: 10094 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks again for the input Jaybee. I will purchase the required materials and hopefully get my TRX mounted this weekend. When I am done I will post pictures here, maybe you can inspect my work in case I mess something up.
        Thanks again for your help,
        Will

posted Hide Post
        Jaybee,
        I have finished installing the TRX mount and have attached a photo.
        Please let me know if I have done something wrong or if I should change something.
        It feels very sturdy, even when I move from side to side.

Thanks again for your help!

completed work

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Looks pretty good to me. You have your load spread out over several trusses by tying the bottom cords together. You are braced to the upper cord and the cross bracing of the trusses, so the load is evenly distributed vertically. You even added some extra internal cross braces.

Looking at this, I would say that the weakest point would be the single 2x where your strap is attached. Not saying it's not strong enough, just that if there is any place that will show some strain it would be the down ward pull in the middle of that one board.

If you hang on the strap and there is no noticable movement in that 2x, then I'd not worry about it at all. If it does bend a little, then just add a 2x4 or 2x6 turned on it's side so that the 3-1/2" or 5-1/2" side is vertical. Screw it to both the 2x with the strap and those two vertical 2x4's that are running up to the upper cord.

But again, you may not need it at all.

Looks very strong from here.

Jaybee