All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Weep holes needed for trim where rake ends?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Weep holes needed for trim where rake ends? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        Hello,

I have these ornamental "bird boxes" where the rake terminates at the eave. Basically, it's a triangular piece of 1x Azek mounted on 2x lumber.
        The way it's mounted, however, creates an opportunity for moisture to get in. And it creates a cavity where moisture could get trapped.
        Should I provide weep holes so any potential moisture could drip out?
        I was thinking of using the circular saw to cut some grooves on the outer face of the bottom piece of 2x lumber.

What do you think?

Please see the attached sketches.

Thanks in advance.

.Ornamental "Bird Box"

Posts: 338 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        SN, I'm curious which software program you're using for the sketches, if you don't mind sharing that information.

Thanks!

Posts: 1948 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Hello GardenSprite.
        I use Sketchup ( http://www.sketchup.com/ ).
        So far, I've only used the free version and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of its capabilities.

There is a very active user community for Sketchup as well--with very advanced users willing to help newbies.

Posts: 338 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Don't do the weep holes - not needed and could cause areas that would actually hold water and cause rot.

Instead, make good seams that are caulked and painted. Now, think about it - Any seams on the sides that *could* possibly allow water to enter are constructed just the same as the seams on the underside (soffit). These joints are made the same way, sealed the same way and exposed to the same weathering conditions. So if the side seam weathers to the point that it could allow water to leak in, then the lower seams would have also weathered to the point that they could allow any water out.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        SN, thanks. I just quickly checked it out and plan to download and explore it tomorrow. I see it does have some landscaping capabilities. Should be interesting.

Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. I'll try to seal it well instead.

GardenSprite. Have fun with Sketchup!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        SN, I will! I've now got several thousand square feet of garden cleared and am anxious to start planning a totally redesigned garden. Should be a lot of fun!

Also have some other projects for my father's house for which I plan to use the software so I can post questions here.