All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Trus joist holes
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Trus joist holes Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Since I've been busy educating myself in all things engineered lumber wise. I have gone around basement seeing if there were any other issues. Found this hole cut in one long span almost directly over a steel beam.....???? In checking I-joist specs this should be no closer than one foot. Is this common???? Next is to check if squash blocks and web stiffeners/and or blocking are in right or in at all... this is DIY stuff right or have I entered the "twilight zone" (not vampire-werewolves, young people,..I'm talking Rod Serling)

like to buy my house,.. come see it at 888 Wits End

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'll qualify my age by saying that I not only remember Rod Serling - I also clearly remember him smoking a cigarette as he gave his narration. You don't see that On TV anymore.

What you have with the holes in the I-joists is not unusual and while not ideal it's not going to cause any problems. This happens because the framers are gone and the plumber is doing his thing. First priority to the plumber is to get his stuff run. If that compromises the framing then that's just the way it is.

The fix is easy, just cut some 2x4 to fit between the upper and lower cords of the I-joist. Just one directly on top of the beam will be enough.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Read about that in John Spiers book on EL, said major cause of damage to lumber was subs (plumbers,electricians).... Mfg's must have restrictions on cutting into this stuff willy nilly for a reason?

Remember the episode where painting kept changing...... I can still here Rods voice ..... "There,s nothing wrong with your TV"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,

posted Hide Post
        I had a Winchester Homes townhouse back in Virginia that I bought in 1989 with trus-joist wood I-beams. You should have seen the hole they carved through it to install the heating ducts. It was still standing 6 years later when I sold it and there wasn't any noticeable bounce or sag in the floor. The span would have been about 16' based on the width of my unit. The end units were built the same way and had a 24' clear span. I wouldn't be too concerned with the 2" hole in your wood I-joist based on my experience.

Winchester built hundreds of these townhomes in Northern VA. Winchester was owned by Weyerhaeuser.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I guess the mfg's warning's on cutting/notching and the like are same as cigarette pack warnings...you may or may not get cancer/lung disease or some other dreaded ailment.

posted Hide Post
        You have a link on that? You definitely don't cut the top or bottom 2x but the webbing can be cut.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Here you go Sparky:

http://www.ahjengineers.com/wp...s-Joist-products.pdf

The deal is that while there are many areas and sizes of holes that can be cut in I-joists, one forbidden area is directly above a load bearing area as well as 6" to either side of same.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. I come here to help and to learn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        You have a link on that? You definitely don't cut the top or bottom 2x but the webbing can be cut.

I went to the source for mine (Weyerhouser). All the I joists have phone number printed on the side so I figure I'll call it and low and behold you get a live person (engineer) who would have gladly helped the builder not make the "errors" I've been finding... he said the rim joist issue I have is a new one for him (I thought maybe at least they would have seen this type of mistake before,but no they have not)
        As for the "hole" problem
        http://www.woodbywy.com/library/#joists ...open up page 9 of the tj 4000 document and there it is, diagrams of allowable hole cutting.... Hole I have is 2 1/2 inch diameter and lies 3 1/2 inches from the beam and bearing wall above.

On a lighter note, during my time spent here at desk researching/posting/calling etc. I've had this Mike Holmes Make it Right book sitting here (got it out from library to check insulation methods) and every time I glance over at cover,there he is, glaring at me (Picture of Mike on cover looking reading to kick ***)and each day he look's even madder, I'm thinking, take it easy Mike your starting to freak me out.
        This is kind of like that Rod Serlings "Night Gallery" ( not Twilight Zone) episode I mentioned where the Cemetery painting keeps changing ( had Roddy Mcdowell in this).

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by measure2:
        I've had this Mike Holmes Make it Right book sitting here (got it out from library to check insulation methods) and every time I glance over at cover,there he is, glaring at me (Picture of Mike on cover looking reading to kick ***)and each day he look's even madder, I'm thinking, take it easy Mike your starting to freak me out.

I think that's the look he wants to cultivate; that's his stage persona, as each of the various DIY hosts has their own stage personality. DeSilvia is more congenial, smiles a lot and conveys a sense of comfort. Holmes is the tough counterpart, take no prisoners guy. Nicole appeals to a different level - very attractive, very personable.... I think the guys would watch her program even if she spent most of the time mending socks or shredding lettuce (NTTAWWT) Big Grin

I think it's kind of amusing to see how the various hosts develop their own screen presence. I often wonder how much of that is scripted by media consultants to mold their online persona or if the consultants just encourage each of the host's natural personalities to blossom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think Nicoles show is great because she does a lot of the work herself including operating heavy machinery (She's "Bobbette" the builder),and re-purposing etc. I will say she appears to be not dressed for the job sometimes, but like you say maybe the producers /media consultants have something to do with that,..and I guess its helps draw a wider range of people to watch the show,(not just DIY'ers.