All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Saturday morning thoughts
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Saturday morning thoughts Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        We've discussed various aspects of the topics in this article before...Detroit's decline, charitable organizations rehabbing houses, helping young people find work and skills in the building trades...

Someone has brought together this idea at an appropriate time:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/...acm21nz/-/index.html

An organization is hiring unemployed youth to rehab homes which will then be donated to 3 winners of a writing competition.

Thought this might provoke some interesting comments on yet another dreary winter day, at least here in SE Michigan (but for the record I'm not in Detroit).

Anyone see a place for Nicole here? DIY could run a series on rehabbing Detroit more than one house at a time.

(No mention is made of the fact that the fair market value of the donated houses would presumably be subject to federal tax obligations.)

I don't know if this has been done in Detroit before, but it's a good start, and hopefully will be successful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        nice twist on the old "takes a village" theme. we have a restaurant in a new condo complex on the site of a cop shop in St. Paul that trains down-and-outs to cook, and you pay what it's worth to you.

Nicole tries to spark things like this by doing a rundown bulldozer-bait house with character in neighborhoods that need salvaging. in the end, she needs to make a profit on each sale to live on and keep the fight up. I'm sure she'd be pleased.

if we won the lottery, my wife has often commented it might be cool to do this sort of thing.

and yes, there is no free lunch, the tax man is always looking for value-adds. that has to be part of the equation in whether to do this or that for somebody. you set some people up for failure yet again if they can't maintain when the 1040 day comes around.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sometimes free is not all what it's cracked up to be.
        Those people got the hell out there for a reason..

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the reason is no jobs. the reason for that was crummy cars against hard competition.

the cause has been fixed.

no reason the city can't be, too. but probably not as large a city.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post