All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Epoxy sealer over painted surface?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Epoxy sealer over painted surface? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'll try to make this as succinct as possible.

My basement floor in painted - just plain ol' paint.
        I laid down a rolled black plastic dimpled floor to create some separation between the carpet I plan to install. The plastic is similar to the kind used on basement walls for drainage.

I pulled the plastic back one day and the floor was moldy.
        It wasn't the entire floor just a few spots. I scraped up the moldy paint down to the concrete but now I want to epoxy seal the entire floor and am wondering if I can epoxy over the painted areas?

Posts: 164 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        with possibly infected paint? no, down to the concrete first, please. what isn't crummy now is going to come up, and the epozy with it, when the water that originally caused the mold brings that paint off the floor.

a better idea, since you have already confirmed the concrete is passivating water with the Platon, is take it all down, possibly putting down a heating grid, then mortaring and tiling. do not use goo from a can, it would have to be thinset mortar.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5761 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Platon

Thanks for the advice as far as removing the paint first but tiling the floor with a heating grid is going to cost quite a bit more than I want to spend.

Any recommendations for paint removers for concrete?

Posts: 164 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post