All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Fireplace burner weak on one side and rock filled practice?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Fireplace burner weak on one side and rock filled practice? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have 2 questions here:
        1. After I cleaned out the fireplace to remodel this, my burner seems weaker on one side (the closer pipe) in Picture 1. Is this normal or should I do something (clean or throw away)? I turned this fireplace on like 1-2 times/year.

2. I want to use some sort of glass rocks like FireCrystals from HomeDepot. Should I just fill inside the burner like Picture 2 (I found from internet)? Or should I fill the whole fireplace, which costs more? I just want to understand whether there is heat benefit of having a lot of rocks or not.

Thanks.

Posts: 279 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        picture 1 one gas holes stopped up with trash,/ unadjusted air mix, buy smoe pipe cleansers, or a bit of wire and poke in the gas holes, then take the burner off and blow it out.the holes are stopped up. also, there is an air vent adjustment door on the burner....open/close bit to get a pretty blue flame after cleaning

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4064 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        correct flame image

Posts: 4064 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        @Frodo thanks for the advice.

Any suggestion on my second question regarding fire rocks?

Posts: 279 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        no comment on the rocks, thats a personal decision,,, looks good to me either way..
        i like the red glow with ceramic wood logs over it
        ck out a product called rock wool insulation....sold at fireplace stores for big bucks, for a little bag orf it or go to a big box store and get a huge chunk for 10 bucks.

click here

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        Maybe I start with little glass rocks and see if the heat is ok.

What do I use the rock wool insulation for around fireplace? Are you talking about inserting around the door?