All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Need some advice
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need some advice Sign In/Join 
        posted
        It's my first home, six months in and I am already stressed out with all the things I want to do! Here is my problem. I need to get my garage in order I want to drywall it and put shelving and storage space, you know a mans garage. Before I could drywall I noticed I had some water damage on the farthest side from the house. On this wall exterior side there is venner stone goes up about 2 feet from ground then a 2" 6" wood trim then the stucco. Back to the inside wall of garage I can tell when the veneer was installed the tar paper was compromised and some of the mortar is bulging inward which also tore some of the tar paper. The water was coming from the sprinklers hitting the veneer and wood trim. I removed the trim, wood was damaged and had rot the flashing between the stucco and trim was completely destroyed. I know the veneer stone, mortar and grout are porous with the tar paper compromised and almost impossible to replace because of the unevenness on the inside. I am hoping to get some suggestions please help out. Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You're overwhelmed and you have some definite damage of a type that will be difficult to repair.

Simple answer - You need to call in a local pro to take a look.

From past experience, I can tell you that most likely the problem originated at the top of the stone line. maybe it was poorly flashed, maybe it wasn't pitched enough to shed water. But with constant wettings from the sprinkler system it was bound to happen.

The good news is that since the garage is unfinished, you can probably get to most of what needs to be replaced.

Call in a local contractor and see what they say.

Jaybee

Posts: 10415 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Post some pictures of the outside. Bet someone here can see what's wrong.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post