DIY Message Boards
no spam

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/9373975277

Jul 27, 2013, 04:00 PM
nona
no spam
some of you who are as fed up with spammers as I am have gotten a private message from me about a site that is monitored better than this one. I've been on the site for a while but not too active on it
I'm not going to give the sites address here for fear that the spammers will get it, but check it out, I'm sure you're going to like it
If enough of us change to that site, we can let the spammers spam each other silly
Jul 27, 2013, 09:15 PM
beers1
I sure would like to have that link. it's ok to privatize.
Jul 28, 2013, 08:37 AM
Sparky617
Sent PM with details.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jul 29, 2013, 10:44 PM
GardenSprite
Bringing this forward to push down more spam.
Jul 30, 2013, 01:16 AM
Jaybee
It's getting an early start this morning.

Jaybee
Jul 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
It's getting an early start this morning.

Well, this is a hard business...spending so much time trying to figure out how many times to post the same message over and over again. Surely that must require a great deal of mental effort.

I'm sure they're exhausted after all this exertion. As you wrote elsewhere, time for a nap.
Jul 30, 2013, 01:24 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by nona:
some of you who are as fed up with spammers as I am have gotten a private message from me about a site that is monitored better than this one. I've been on the site for a while but not too active on it
I'm not going to give the sites address here for fear that the spammers will get it, but check it out, I'm sure you're going to like it
If enough of us change to that site, we can let the spammers spam each other silly

May I suggest that anyone else who finds a spam free site do as Nona has done? Maybe, somewhere, someplace, we can find a site that's properly monitored.
Jul 30, 2013, 09:24 PM
beers1
thank you nona for the info I will try it soon
Jul 30, 2013, 09:59 PM
SturdyNail
I certainly understand Nona's frustration with all of the noise and distraction caused by the spammers.
The thing is though, there are already relatively few regular contributors on this site. Steering more of them away leaves those of us left behind with fewer helpful resources.
Jul 31, 2013, 11:04 AM
GardenSprite
SN, I hadn't thought of that aspect. I certainly wouldn't want to drive away the good posters; my thoughts were that eventually more would get fed up and leave to another site, more or less causing the good posters to relocate along with those of us who request advice.

You make a good point, though, and one for which I can't offer any counterpoint as I don't think there is any.

I've thought of a new tactic to deal with the spammers, though. I'll let you know if it works.
Aug 01, 2013, 08:29 AM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by SturdyNail:
I certainly understand Nona's frustration with all of the noise and distraction caused by the spammers.
The thing is though, there are already relatively few regular contributors on this site. Steering more of them away leaves those of us left behind with fewer helpful resources.

Good point to ponder. {Spam Bump}

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Aug 01, 2013, 10:58 AM
Sparky617
SN makes a good point. It is getting tiresome with the lack of attention DIY gives this board and the same is true over at their sister board on HGTV.

Why do I even bother posting? I learn a lot from the regular posters here and I hope that I offer some good advice. Sometimes when someone asks a question that I find interesting I'll go out and search for an answer and learn something in the process.

I got sucked into it with one of the posters here Mikem. He'd ask some inane question and we'd all pop in with our answers. Rather than thanking us he'd argue with us. Really? As I say in my signature, my advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. If you find a better answer share it with us and move on. Don't attack the good folks here that offer you free advice.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Aug 01, 2013, 06:47 PM
GardenSprite
It may be that Scripps isn't interested in this board any more. That's happened on other forums. As interest and value to the host decline, so does monitoring. Eventually the board is just closed down.

I think though that it may take a massive effort of complaints to Scripps to make them aware of the problem. I did get a response from them as to one troll, whose posts were eliminated by Scripps. So there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a plan of action for another one of the regular spammers that I think has merit. It does involve reporting and complaints, but goes beyond that to involve others off forum who are affected, harnassing power greater than we can create. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll give details.