All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Pandora'sBox question the Crawl space
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Pandora'sBox question the Crawl space Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,

Really stuck on what to do. I live in South Jersey and I always have 2-3 inches of water in the crawl-space. The crawl space is block with concrete floor. Now the common issue of mold and wet insulation is starting and I'm lost on what to do. I'm not sure were the water is coming from floor, walls ??? Guessing the sump will take care if the water issue for now but I know I need to pull down the insulation but then what? Do I clean joist and then foam board across joist or to I spray foam the joist and ceiling (bottom of sub floor) and install dehumidifier ? What do I do ? I did run gutter is out 15 feet and I cant get to front of house(porch) half the house is on a slab (old section) only leaving two sides to put in French drain around outside of crawl space. Do I spray foam block do I foam board block or leave it alone??? Help please

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Your first step must be to address the water issue. As long as water is getting in and remaining in the crawl space, any repairs or replacement of moldy materials will just be repeated. If you cannot figure out where the water is coming from then call in a pro who can.

The obvious things to look for are clogged gutters and downspouts, downspouts that do not carry water far enough away from the house, ground that slopes towards the house and especially any concrete slabs that direct water to the foundation. These things can be fixed from the outside and stop the problem before it gets to the house.

Sump pump systems are fine as a final line of defense, but should not be the main way of removing water from the house footprint. But unless you can keep the water from getting into the space or at the very least, contained under a vapor barrier, you are wasting your time trying to make other repairs.

There are many companies who specialize in keeping crawl spaces and basements dry. Doing the fix right can get expensive but your best first-step would be to call somebody in to find out what you are dealing with and how much it will cost to repair.

Jaybee

Posts: 10139 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post