All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Sliding mat for stairs
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sliding mat for stairs Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Goomba
        posted
        I'm looking for a thick, plastic mat with straps that's used for sliding heavy objects upstairs. The one I saw online was British made and seemed to work well with large loads such as 60# bags of bird seed. Unfortunately it's not available in the States. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: Aug 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've never seen such a thick mat but am wondering if moving companies might have what you need. Compass Storage has storage units with a lot of moving supplies; this might be an option, although I don't know if they're in Eastern Tenn.

I found some: http://www.uboxes.com/moving-s...lankets/supreme.html after Googling "thick moving mats".

The Google link is

http://www.google.com/#biw=102...&fp=f3b433cb5274a50a

I also got some hits googling "moving supplies, thick mats". Another long link which may or may not work:

http://www.google.com/search?b....19.serp.oiFYL14kG3s

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I have moved heavy/awkward things up and down stairs by using an old rug and an old nylon sleeping bag. Neither of these items were really that usable (before or after), but found they worked pretty well in a pinch.

Rolling furniture end over end on carpeted stairs, has worked for me too, when trying to get a large cabinet up the stairs without help. And recently the bottom half of a heavy, leather recliner. Amazing what one person can do with motivation.Wink

We inherited some nice quilted/nylon moving blankets from a professional mover. I bet these would work great for your needs and what you describe. Moving companies may sell them used, or advertise you are looking for some on Craig's List?

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        how about the nylon mats you put under the rolling office chairs cut to the width of the stairs and attach some heavy duty straps .these come in different gauge and you would get one that is smooth on both sides..

Posts: 762 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        A sheet of Tyvek (construction home wrap) under something a bit padded like a blanket or old rug? It is both a slick surface and VERY strong/tear resistant.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Goomba
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks all. I found a thick, fabric door mat with a rubber-like underside at Lowes. After attaching nylon cord in 6 places, the mat slides easily up the oak stairs without leaving any finger prints. And that rubberized backside keeps items from slipping off.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: Aug 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Good thinking!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I'm saving these ideas for future times when I have to lug stuff up and down the stairs. In the past I've used blankets but they don't hold very well, even with safety pins and those plastic clamps given out by businesses with displays at senior expos.

posted Hide Post
        When I made a renovation in my house I stored my belongings in this warehouse in Ontario. Professional loaders helped to move all the heavy furniture pieces. I' m wondering why people ask for such awkward things like a “thick plastic mat” if you can ask for professional help and not to dive into those details.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juana Haw,

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Juana Haw:
        I' m wondering why people ask for such awkward things like a “thick plastic mat” if you can ask for professional help and not to dive into those details.

Perhaps because this is a DIY Forum, not a "hire a contractor" forum? Why spend money to have furniture removed if you can find an appropriate mat?

Or perhaps you just spotted this post to dredge up (along with some others today) and post a commercial link but didn't bother to read the entire original post?

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        My thought exactly, GardenSprite!

But spammers are pretty much clueless.