All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Blown in WALL insulation--worth it?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Blown in WALL insulation--worth it? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have read conflicting stuff about blown insulation.

We had an energy audit and were told to have insulation blown into the walls of our 1925 colonial (oil heat via steam radiators). There is some insulation in the attic already, but not enough.

Anyway, the energy audit guy (who works through the government) said we should do wall insulation first. He estimated this would save us over $1000 a year. The cost of getting wall insulation blown in would be $2250 (the government is going to pay for $2000 of it).

Anyway, I have heard mixed things about the benefits of getting wall insulation blown in. Our energy audit guy told us we would see huge savings with it. Again, the attic already has some insulation. We also live on a busy street, so I am hoping the insulation will reduce street noise.

Does all this sound alright? It's our first home, I hate to screw it up. I trust the energy audit guy because he basically told us how to "work" the system to get the most government assistance by only doing 1 upgrade a year and re-apply for the same annual credit over and over. He also doesn't get commission, so I don't think he'd try to up-sell us.

Oh and we have older vinyl siding over shingles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fenix916,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Rather then start a long blown out of proportion debate, here are some links you can read to come to your own conclusion.
        http://ask.metafilter.com/2007...go-from-suck-to-blow

http://www.finehomebuilding.co...blue-jean-insulation

https://gotbadair.bangordailyn...ellulose-insulation/

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by fenix916:
        The cost of getting wall insulation blown in would be $2250 (the government is going to pay for $2000 of it).

It's not really costing you anything, I'd let them do it. -- or you could remove all the drywall or plaster, and add something else, then reinstall the walls material. That will be much more costly. But either way, I doubt you'll do much for 'noise prevention', but I guess that depends on your current condition and current level of insulation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was looking into doing the same thing. My house however was built in 1978. I had several insulation companis look at blowing cellulose into walls. this is what they told me.

Drill a hole to find out how much insulation you actually have in your wall. In my case I had r-11 to r-13. If you have fiberglass batts that take up the space of the wal it is a bad idea to have it filled with cellulose. Reason being the hose they use pushes down or tears the fiberglass batts creating voids that the cellulose cant fill. NOW in your case you may not have much, if any insulation in the walls. A lot of older homes used newspaper or other products that settle. They told me if I had no insulation it is very well worth blowing in insulation.

I decided against it in my case. I also rented a thermal imaging camera from Home Depot. Not all Home Depots carry them. I actually found several other things wrong in my house.

I have heard good things about the energy audits and will get one done on my place soon.

Hope this helped

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post