All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Framing in garage door with curb wall.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Framing in garage door with curb wall. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        First off, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I'm going to frame in a garage door, but first I would like to continue the curb wall that surrounds the garage.

If I'm using block and mortar to build the curb wall, do I need to prep the slab that's already there? Is there some kind of a bonding agent that I should put down first to help the mortar adhere to the slab?

Picture of opening

Thanks!

Curb Wall

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        if i read your post correctly
        you want to build of block wall
        first i would lay block out on the floor with out motor. to see how it will lay out. then mark on the floor where the cells are. drill a 5/8" hole in the concrete with a hammerdrill,2" deep. install 1/2"rebar 4' tall vertically. this will tie the wall into the floor. wet the floor with water and put motor on floor install a course of block. spread sand over floor. where you do not want motor to stick
        after the 1st course is layed put wire mesh over the 1st course and motor on top of that. install 2nd course. repeat intill you reach 4' then stop..
        pour concrete into all the cells. after pouring the concrete add another 4' of rebar and continue building wall
        use your finger or a scouring tool to dress up the motor inbetween each course. after moterr has dried. rub wall with a peice of block to smooth out the wall

<<<<<<<<use a 4' level to level block horizontaly and verticaly as you build wall>>>>>>>>>>>

to answer your ? no.. just wet floor and slap on mortor...it will stick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo (and OP) I'm pretty sure he's just wanting to install a run of block to keep the framing up off the ground. This would eliminate the need for all the drilling and rebar and make the install like your bottom sentence.

It is the simple process: Install the block directly on the slab. If the slab has been painted, remove the paint in that area, otherwise have at it.

Be aware that those 'L' shaped header blocks are there because somewhere in the build of the garage, you must make the transition from the 8" block of the foundation to a 4" block to match the thickness of a typical framed wall. Since you are starting from a solid slab, there is no reason to use the header block. A single rectangular solid block will do.

Jaybee

Posts: 10117 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yeah your right, i got carried away and started building a 10' wall.....

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Don't forget to remove the wood framing from the sides of the garage door where the block will be laid. If you can match your framing lumber to the demensions of your block you would be better off. If your block is 8" then framing lumber should be 2X8's. Actual block is less than 8" same as the lumber.

If you have been using this to drive through a number of years I would acid wash(Muratic) the area which will be under the block. This area will be sort of polished whereas the original was raw on the rest of the building when done. This will etch the concrete and make for better adhesion of the mortar.

Don't forget to place anchor ( J-bolts) to tie the wall to the block on your sill plate. And yest I would use Pressure treated lumber for the sill. Predetermine the stud locations when placing them as not to interfer with the studs.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        WOW! Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Yes, it will be a short curb wall and I will remove the wood from around the existing frame.

I may use the acid wash, I will have some on hand for putting epoxy on the new garage floor.

This is perfect - thank you all for your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post