DIY Message Boards
Impossible Soundproofing. Help?!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/8993900077

Apr 24, 2013, 05:18 PM
frickafricka
Impossible Soundproofing. Help?!
Hi everyone!

I live in a big loft apartment with 3 other people. It's essentially a big box, very high ceilings, with lots of exposed piping of various sizes running across the ceiling, as well as big metal support beams. It looks awesome.

HOWEVER: the bedrooms are "cubicle" bedrooms. They have 4 walls, but no ceilings -- the bedroom walls do not reach the ceiling of the apartment itself. And it would be impossible it seems to simply build the walls up, as there are all sorts of pipes in the way.

Given this set up, sound travels EVERYWHERE. You can hear people breathing across the apartment even when you're in your "room" with the door shut.

My question is this: is there some way you can soundproof these open bedrooms? Or maybe even lay some sort of makeshift ceiling on top of the open space (each about 10'x10')?

I can try to provide pictures if that will help. But in short: how does one attempt to soundproof (or something close) a partially open space?

Thanks so much to any who can help!!!
Apr 24, 2013, 05:46 PM
Jaybee
If you can do things permanently, easy enough to install some 2x6 ceiling joists, a top skin of plywood, insulation and a ceiling.

If you want something removable, then get some 2" to 4" thick foam panels and lay then across the top. If you cannot find 10' long panels then you may nee to make a light frame for support across the middle.

Either method would turn your space into a room with sound privacy.

Jaybee