All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Issue with new ceiling fan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Issue with new ceiling fan Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi Everyone,

I recently installed a new Hunter ceiling light/fan combination and am trying to troubleshoot an issue. When the fan is running AND the light is on, the fan works perfectly and is quiet. However, when I turn the LIGHT off and keep the fan on, the fan starts to make a metallic sound. It is consistent and almost sounds like a rubbing sound. If it happened all the time, I'd think something inside the fan was rubbing. However, it ONLY happens when the light is off. When I turn the light back on, it stops/

I thought maybe it had something to do with the dimmer I had so I replaced it with a new dimmer and then tried a standard two switches (no dimmer). Nothing resolved the issue. I also did not have this issue with the previous fan.

Any ideas? Is it a problem with the fan?

Thanks!

Posts: 8 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To add more info in case this is a wiring issue. These are the connections I made:

From Fan to Ceiling

BLUE to YELLOW
        BLACK to YELLOW
        WHITE to WHITE
        Green/Yellow to GREEN

I also labeled the yellow wires so I knew which were attached to Blue and which to Black on the old fan.

Posts: 8 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Did you have the fan motor on a dimmer switch? My experience has been fans get noisy when on a variable control, even one designed to do the job.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 721 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I did but switched over to a basic switch today and it still has the same issue.

posted Hide Post
        Strange, not sure what the issue could be. Good luck.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 721 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Try this: Unscrew all the bulbs, then see if turning on the lights makes the noise go away.

I'm betting that you have somewhere in the fan near the rotational parts that is very, very close. With the lights on, there is a slight added load that will change the fan just enough so that the noise stops. If the noise is there all the time with the bulbs out and the light switch turned on, then this makes it a current/load issue. OTOH, if you tried the test above and everything is still the same then I don't have an answer for you.

Other than that, just carefully looking at the fan ans how things touch when the fan turns could lead to the problem. A little tightening in one place or a slight bending of a housing could make the noise stop.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Jaybee,

Thanks for the response. Taking out the bulbs did eliminate the issue. I have found that I can use 2 of the 3 bulbs without any issues. Any idea steps I can take to resolve the issue completely?

Thanks

Mike

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since the bulbs are what is causing (or actually , not causing) the problem then I would experiment with changing bulbs. In your case, since when the bulbs are on there is not a noise I would look for a slightly higher wattage bulb and go from there.

The thing is, this is only masking the problem. Somewhere in the rotational parts of the motor, shaft or blades something is rubbing too close. Could be brushes in the motor or just a housing elsewhere.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Higher wattage or lower wattage? Would an energy efficient bulb be any better?

Thanks again

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Higher wattage - but that's not going to fix the problem, only show the cause.

Lights on = no noise. Lights off = noise. Therefore, the slight voltage drop caused by the lights slows the motor enough so that the noise stops. Turn the lights off and the noise comes back - right?

So you've got the cause but the cure is a different story. Again, I'd suspect brushes in the motor as the most likely culprit. If this is a new fan the simple solution would be to return it and get another.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        Ya you nailed it.

Bummer was really hoping not to have to replace the whole fan. It was hard enough to put this one in!