All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Staining Maple
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Staining Maple Sign In/Join 
        posted
        What is the best and easiest way to stain maple? I'm having trouble getting the color I want as it doesn't really take the stain that well. On a practice board I've tried wood conditioner on one half and nothing on the other. I then apply the stain and let it set for around 15 minutes and then wipe off the excess. I've applied a second coat repeating the same procedure and it is getting a little darker. I'm just wondering if there is a better way. Using Min-wax.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        instead of using stain, which just sits on the wood like paint,with very little coloring the wood by penetration, try using a dye, which will enter the wood. Dyes come in either water base or alcohol base. for maple, I would use water base as it wont evaporate as quickly as alcohol. The down side to water base is that you will have to lightly sand it to get the fuzz off. I don't think you can get dyes in big box stores, so you'll have to order it from a woodworkers catalog
        If you insist on using a stain, use a gel stain which is a heavy body stain and will give you a deeper color faster
        Of course, you can always thin a paint down to a water-like consistency and use it like stain
        Another trick is to not fine sand the wood too much and leave minute ( really minute ) scratches for the stain to stay in. that means sanding down to 150 or 180 grit and no further before you stain
        Most people think that the finer you sand, the better the finish, this is not true. The finish is in the top coat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2536 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I believe maple is one of those tight-grained woods that doesn't want to play well with your solvent.

in that case, you actually wet the wood. wipe it with a semi-wet rag to open up the pores. then come back over it with the stain. sounds crazy, but it works.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5733 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Should you let the wood dry before applying the stain or can you stain it while it is still damp?

posted Hide Post
        damp is what I hear. otherwise, the pores close right up again.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5733 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you. I tried it on a piece of scrap maple and it really does work just fine. Hopefully, this will make the project a lot easier.