All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Question about half attic/closet insulation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Question about half attic/closet insulation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I need some help. Winter is coming again!

On my second floor it looks like a walk in closet was added above the garage before we bought the house. That closet was obviously not insulated properly since it's freezing in there in the winter.

I went into the half attic (above the garage) to see what was done and it looks like they insulated the walls around the closet and I can see insulation under the floor. the rest of the attic is above the garage and was not insulated.

I since insulated above the garage hoping it would solve the problem but that closet is still freezing.

Should I close the floor joist? even if they put some insulation there, there is still a gap between the floor and the insulation. My only guess right now...

Since it's above an unheated garage, I'm at a loss.

Help!

Pierre in Denville, NJ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pmetiv,

Posts: 4 | Location: NJ | Registered: Nov 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You need two things to make that closet warm:

1. Adequate insulation on all sides of the closet space, except where it intersects with living space that is already heated.

2. A source of heat in the closet.

If you do not have a H/A duct running into that closet, then it is going to stay cold no matter what you do. Opening the closet door will help a little, but a typical H/A system will draw away from the closet, not put any heated air into it. It may be simple, it may be hard, but you need to tp into your H/A system and run a duct into the closet. Plus, you will need some form of return air path from the closet to the living space.

Jaybee

Posts: 10469 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your answer. The walk in closet is only 5 x 8, and no duct travels in that area.

I don't leave the door open since it's so cold...may be I should try that.

More insulation will not help at this point I guess.

Posts: 4 | Location: NJ | Registered: Nov 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        More insulation will not hurt, but if you want the closet to stay warm, first it has to get warm.

I'd take a look at the duct situation. A 5' x 8' closet will not take very much to warm it up - you could get decent results by running a 4" flex line into the closet space. Home stores even make a small, 4" round 'grill' that can be opened and closed. All you really need is a small path from the closet walls or ceiling to an existing heat duct. (provided you have forced air heat of course).

Jaybee

Posts: 10469 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee!

Went back in there today and see one duct. I do have forced air heat.

Took a photo too. The "yellow" insulated wall is the closet and the "pink" insulation is the unheated garage under.

At the part where the wall meet the floor there's a 2in gap between the insulation and the floor.

The floor of that closet is very cold and I wonder if it's partially because of this.

My plan was to stuff some more insulation on top of what's already there....to fill that 2in gap.

Just worried that it will create condensation since little air will be passing once I do that.

Attic

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You want to fill that 2" gap at the bottom of the wall area. As far as condensation is concerned, you need to make sure that your attic space is vented - ideally soffit and ridge vents.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        It's vented. Thanks for your help.