All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    outdoor travertine paver installtion
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

outdoor travertine paver installtion Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello to all,

Getting bids in for our pool and summer kitchen, and wanted to get your experience on a stone install.

Instead of going with a cool-deck concrete decking, we are entertaining travertine pavers [our choice in both size and pattern, and 1.25" thick].

We were quote an install cost/sq ft w the install being a 9" base of aggregate and sand, then the stone. this will all go on top of the soil. then we will have a foundation poured, for the summerkitchen and we were quoted same stone but only 3/4 sand on concrete and $2 less/sq fr install/stone.

we live in houston w gumbo/clay soil, is this install methodology sound correct/solid? Also, they will include drains as well in the deck area.

If you have any questions, pls let me know.

Thank you very much,
        tstex

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        only thought I have is travertine (halfway to marble) is a soft stone and porous. I think of it more as a tile topping to a solid floor, grouted, in which circumstance it would hold up without cracking.

ask around and see how the installers' work with travertine in the past has held up. I'm thinking it's the wrong stone for outside unless it goes over a slab.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks SWS.

We visited a house saturday in which the couple was very, very particular. in fact, the wife works for a huge reputable tile company. She was making a sidewalk with steps by installing 1' thick travertine pavers from their back porch all the way to a fire pit. The pavers were also being set in aggregate and sand.

Note, the pavers we are considering are 1.25" thick. I also read that if you mix some portland concrete w your sand, it can really firm-up the bottom.

Point taken on checking with others and I will do so...

regards, tstex

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,

posted Hide Post
        The contractor will offer a 5-10 yr warranty on both material and labor, barring gross error on our part. His floor guy offers a 5 yr warranty and then the GC extends that another 5 yrs.

The GC stated that if there are any problems with the decking in settling, it will occur in the first 6-9 mo's.

Finally, I meant portland "cement" in the last post, not concrete.