All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Replace garage door opener gear(s)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replace garage door opener gear(s) Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I opened the unit, and yes, it is full of plastic snow - the gear is ground to pieces. Online, I see gears for sale, and "gear kits," which include - in one case, for example - "drive gear, plastic worm wheel, Lubriplate grease and all necessary washers and hardware."
        The only thing I can actually see that is messed up is the drive gear, but I haven't ripped it apart yet, I just have the back panel off.

So: is it likely that I will only have to replace the drive gear, or is a "kit" more likely to be necessary when all is said and done? Thanks for any suggestions

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Once one gear starts wearing, it will then wear differently for any other gears that it touches. If some of the gears are plastic and some metal, then it's very likely that all the plastic gears will be damaged while the metal ones should be OK.

Beyond that, it will probably cost about the same to purchase a kit vs just one gear. So unless you can determine that only one gear is damaged and if you know you can purchase just that one gear, I'd go for the kit.

The hard part is making sure that you have found the correct parts.

Jaybee

Posts: 10434 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks very much. Considering that I hadn't torn the thing apart yet, that's about as good an answer as I deserved.

By the time I'm finished, I'll have done it for about $3.00 an hour.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: Apr 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have replaced just the plastic gear because it was easier -- and I noticed the new one did not last nearly as long as the original factory one. So you can count on doing it again. It was a Craftsman opener.

But is that because I didn't take the time or effort to replace all the parts that came with the kit? Could be so.

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        That is very interesting.

BTW: I expect that there is probably one or two factories making the components for all the openers on the planet, and then various names are slapped on the things.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Some are the same. Chamberlain makes a lot of GDO's sold under different names. There's probably more like 6 to 10 different brands.

Jaybee

Posts: 10434 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well, I have the drive gear out of the assembly, and I have the pin only half way out of the shaft. I will have my brother the millwright get the thing out for me tomorrow. I'm only going to replace the drive gear, the rest looks OK.
        Mind you, getting a drive gear alone is a lot trickier in Canada than in the U.S..