All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Basement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Basement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The basement is finished. Walls floors... Etc... Updating lighting . But I can't get that basement smell out. Should I go with a ventilation system, or a purifier ? So undecided. Absolutely have to get the air a better quality. I'd hate to put all these blood sweat and tear stains into it and have no one go down there. Any suggestions? Pros cons? Is one better than the other? There is a dehumidifier that goes 24/7 but that stale air lingers. Price wise I don't want to break the bank, but at the same time I want results.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I tried to find a previous post on what you were doing to the basement but was unsuccessful.

Did the odor exist before you finshed the walls and floors? Do you know what was causing it, and did you address that source of the odor?

You mentioned stale air - is there also a musty smell? If it's just stale musty air an air purifier might help, as would some ventilation. Are there any windows that can be opened to bring in fresh air, or do they lack screens for safe opening?

If it's musty that's a different story, especially if your dehumidifier is actually running constantly 24/7. It should be cycling on and off as it reaches the set level of dehumidification.

The Honeywell air purifier I have is essentially this model:

http://www.filtersamerica.com/...etwrgCFdFDMgodsQsAmA

It does clean the air, but the range is limited. Depending on the size of your basement, you might need more than one, or a ventilation system as you mentioned. I have no experience with ventilation systems.

Another method of removing odors is to use odor absorbent substances like baking soda, coffee and/or crumpled newspaper. These worked for a freezer which developed an indescribly sickening odor after the RV park owner decided to cut the electricity to my parents' trailer when they flew home during a medical emergency. Scrubbing was also necessary though.

This is a female solution, so it might not interest you, but other options are to spritz the air with herbal essential oil. Lavender is one possibility. It isn't required that the entire basement be spritzed, only sporadic sections.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I suspect that the dehumidifier is not working, especially since it is running 24/7. If it is hooked to a drain you should see a constant drip going into the drain. If it is dripping into a container you should be emptying the container on a regular basis. Possibly your filter needs changing.

Posts: 994 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post