All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Builder Ethics
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Builder Ethics Sign In/Join 
        posted
        While I ponder weak and weary....oops wrong forum...

In my quest to finish basement and part of that involves problem with rim joist mentioned in another post I have been digging (seems to be muck) trying to get as much info as possible so that maybe my builder will feel guilty about poor job they did and take it upon themselves to help a "valued" customer in need,.... What I have come to across most recently when finding old paperwork was that "Reputable Builder" with name on fancy brochures did not use same name as actual construction "developer". Said "developer" has since been dissolved but had exact same address as "Reputable" builder. I asked a builder friend of mine I went to high school with and he said some company's do this and did not elaborate why,...leaves us regular folks to fill in the blanks I guess. So I'll take small step down from my little soap box and let ya'll talk amongst yourselves and weigh in,...... I got to go, I think I hear the Turnip truck pulling up.

guess I better add actual construction question----whats the story with bluwood, I can't find it anywhere in Maryland.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Bluwood first - It's not hit our part of the country as yet - at least, I've not seen it. But basically it's a treated lumber to protect against insects, rot etc. There is also a redwood product out there that seems to do the same thing. Unlike pressure treated lumber that is designed for mostly exterior use, the redwood / bluwood materials can be used within walls.

For the other; Contractors, used car salesmen, lawyers and those guys who sell things on late-night TV......basically we all suck. There are more than enough dishonest types in these professions to taint the entire industry.

Of course, the bad apples are actually a small part of each of these. Most of these professions are filled with honest and hardworking people who are just trying to make a living in the right way. The key is finding the good ones.

In your case, where the work was done long ago and the client was your former homeowner, there is nothing you can do. If you need a contractor in the future, look for one who is licensed and insured, who can show examples of project similar to what you need done and most of all who you can get a name from a solid referral from someone you already know and trust.

Stay away from low bidders, contractors who are unprofessionally dressed or are driving a about-to-fall-apart old truck. Low bids wind up being padded as the project progresses, an unprofessional appearance will reflect in unprofessional work and if they can't afford a halfway decent set of wheels then they can't be very good at running a successful company.

Fun fact; Around here in the Bible-belt South, you can count on every contractor or builder who bills themselves as "a Christian carpenter" as being a complete fraud. just one of those things that seems to fool a lot of people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10337 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Unfortunately, as I mentioned in other post, we are the original homeowners and watched house get built and unfortunately back then we (I, in particular) did not know much about home building (ins and outs of framing etc.) and were relying upon builders "good" reputation and the diligence of building inspectors to do their jobs.You now see all these young family's getting their "dream" homes , stainless steel appliances ,back-splashes ,open concept etc.. Dazzling them and it makes one wonder what problems lies beneath all that "lipstick". Like I stated before "do these new home buyers need to become really well versed in structural, electrical,hvac,plumbing etc...etc" so they are not relying on the realtors favorite home inspector or "reputable builders" or state/county/city folks "good words" that biggest investment of their life is well built.
        One of the biggest reason's of my posting this is hoping anyone young out there reading this will learn from what I can only say is others (and our) misfortune and what I'm sure is this builders viewpoint as "made our money and time to move on"
        Apologize for sounding cynical here but I've alway's tried to give people the benefit of the doubt,basically try to see the good in them and this has left one giant sour taste. When I initially contacted our builder with information on problem they instantly "went dark" and I see my mistake was to believe "Reputable company" with commitment to quality stand by that slogan.
        They have link to this I think, and are possibly checking on my lack of progress.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry, my bad - I was thinking you purchased a house that had been remodeled.

So much goes on the experience and reputation of the builder or contractor. It's unrealistic to expect that your average homeowner who works in a totally non-building type profession will be able to "know' when something is being build incorrectly. So to counter that, you go with a contractor with a known reputation - someone who has been hired by a friend or co-worker who's opinion you trust. An alternate is to have a friend 'in the business' or even hire your own professional to advise you through the construction process. My feelings are that if you haven't developed total trust and confidence in the contractor you are planning on hiring then you should not hire them at all and move on.

But that is water under the bridge.

Most 'bad' construction that I see is the result of the rush to get something build for the lowest budget. You see this the most for spec building rather than custom. Building inspections and code requirements are not going to catch everything. Even a long inspection only lasts under an hour and can be just a few minutes. Or, poor construction can happen in-between inspections where the work is covered up by inspection time.

If you have complaints against the contractor who worked for you the first place to start with is by calling them. Since you have done this with no result, the next step it to contact your state contractor licensing office. You could also contact your local code department to see if you can get them to reinspect the problem areas that you have. They may or may not have the ability to force the contractor to follow-up. Unfortunately, if the house was inspected and passed, any improper construction can be partially be blamed on the code department themselves - so they may not be too 'enthusiastic' about confirming any problems. That's just the reality of it.

If you really want to push things you can hire a pro to inspect your problem areas and give you a written assessment of the problems. This would best be done by a reputable, licensed GC rather than a home inspector. Having a report in hand from a professional will keep you from being dismisses as a homeowner who doesn't really know what he's talking about. You can also use something like that to force the issue with your absent original builder. (if you can find them, of course). If they understand that yo are not going to stop in your efforts, better chance that they will realize that it's better for them to own up and fix their mistakes.

Good luck.

Jaybee

Posts: 10337 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks jaybee, I've gone through almost all of those steps,.. have appointments for estimates on work and have also consulted with good friends in building trade including structural engineer but need to keep them out of this for obvious reason.
        All estimates will be by reputable folks (Angies list is pretty good source) and they also would be a non-biased third party. Of course the worst part is that problem was well hidden and 9 of 21 house's here are identical to mine. The only reason I found this was because I decided to go to the better route of insulating by spray foam and during prepping of rim area which meant pulling all the old fiberglass out of way I stumbled into "brick wall". I know for a fact that all the others with same house that have finished basements used contractors/re-modelers that finished with old methods and left "good" old fiberglass in place when closing up (framing,drywall etc.) and probably didn't see this or if they saw it they never told owners, did job,got paid and ran like the wind.
        Once again, apologies to honest folks out there and I'm not trying to offend anyone but just "call it as I see it"

P.S Heard or read interesting phrase recently

"at some point in near future there will be a lot of 200 year old house's,but not many 100 year old ones" or something like that, can't remember exact wording

posted Hide Post
        developers... so many are the lowest of the low. "Unicorn Estates Development Properties LLC" and so on. all these "established 1823" companies who are incorporating a new outfit for the life of the build are basically schemes to dissolve their liability the second the last property is sold.

woe betide you if the outfit builds half the development, and sells to "Amalgamated Rainbows And Bunnies Property Systems PLC." that, to this old failed and grizzled reporter (TV hair fell out,) indicates that the Unicorns got the he11 out before the shoddy work and wrong materials caught up to them.

legal? strictly speaking, yes, they got the first flush of cash and decided their stay in business here was over.

but if there were known defects? probably not. now the statue of limitations starts to play out. if the parent company, "Dimbulb Sons & Associates," changes officers and reincorporates, doesn't matter how many years they can creatively trace back the corporation for advertising purposes. like the old tale of My Great-Great-Great-Grandfather's Axe, come over on the Mayflower... ten heads and 20 handles later, is it still the same axe?

I am not a lawyer, don't have one on retainer, and cross the street to avoid walking in front of the courthouse these days. but have seen way too many of these cases play out in the papers.

if you truly want to know if the house you're building is done right, you need a tag-team of your own. hire an independent inspector who is missing a finger from their own days in construction, for instance.

there is a 100 percent chance that no matter who is building, something somewhere isn't right. doesn't mean it isn't serviceable. doesn't mean it's framing, plumber subs could have left a couple of nails tacked in to support a pipe while completing it so you have copper/iron electrolysis.

but in the end, nothing man-made is perfect. you are going to be chasing repairs throughout the life of a house.

they shouldn't be critical structure stuff, however.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5761 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wow swschrad, only company you missed was Howe, Dewey, and Scruem.... And yes there will always be little stuff that I'm willing to overlook like not connected vent duct in attic for bathroom fan,gaping openings in return ductwork and more...(I'm not making this stuff up)....at moment I'm on break from "labor camp" since latest disease (cold) is slowing me down and wife said get some rest, plus I can't work on "project" until all proper authorities view it and render opinions,estimates and whatever else is needed. Gives me some time here of course but also busy planning design of basement (egress window/pocket doors/wainscoting/tile),..as my dad used to say I'm chief cook and bottle washer.