All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Kitchen Cabinet Valence Install HELP
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Kitchen Cabinet Valence Install HELP Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am installing a light valance to cover up some under kitchen cabinet lights. I am using a simple 1x2" stock.
        I am no finish carpenter and I don't have a nail gun.

1)Can my joints (45 degree) be glued together, or do the also need to be secured with screws?
        2)Do I use regular wood glue for this, or other bonder?
        3)Do I use screws AND glue to fix the valence to the underside of the cabinet?

In some places I can open the cabinet doors and screw down through the cabinet shelf into a predrilled hold in the 1x2, but in other places (where the valance goes under an open "shelf" cabinet I don't want to drill through the exposed, finished shelf). Here are my options:

a)Drill from the underside of the 1x2" throught the bottom of the shelf
        b)PL Premium the valance in this section, no screws
        c)Install small angle brackets and screw them into the underside of the cabinet and into the backside of the valence.

If I do (a) I could bore a 1" hole in the underside of the 1x2" so that the screw is well hidden. If I do (c) I am concerned the bracked won't pull the valence up tight against the underside of the cabinet (unless I first glue and clamp it and then install the bracket after the fact).

Posts: 215 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        As long as you can get raw wood to raw wood and give your work time to cure, glue will be very strong. Those mitered corners should be fine with just wood glue. Something like TiteBond will work.

Same with attaching the valence. Any screws will help but the glue will also hold it. Just remember that the glue will not hold well if there is a finish on either glue area surface and you need to clamp it tightly to hold it as the glue cures.

Jaybee

Posts: 10315 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee... Not sure I get your recommendation...glue and screw? Or just glue? provided I clamp well? I assume the screws would give it a little more strenght in case someone bumps it... If I could get away with just glue it would save me a few hours at the pace I go

Posts: 215 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Just glue will be OK provided you are gluing to bare wood on both pieces of work. Also for glue to hold well, it needs to be clamped tight. IF you can get some screws in there they will do double duty - holding the pieces in place while the glue cures and extra strength for the life of the project.

So the short answer: Glue can work. Screws can't hurt.

Jaybee

Posts: 10315 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sound advice...and it even rhymes-that adds to your credibility in my books! Smile

posted Hide Post
        If it were me...
        I would use pocket hole joinery. It will be screwed from behind, and you could also use plugs if it's to go that far.

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I actually used a combination of all suggestions (glue, screw, pocket holes). In some places I could screw from the top of the frame down through the valence. In these places, the screw heads are flush and only visible when you open the cupboards (above eye level for most so not noticeable). In these area's I was also able to glue and clamp. One the ends/sides, I wasn't able to screw down or even attach a clamp to secure a glue joint, so I tried my hand at the pocket holes with two size drill bits pre-drilled. That was more time consuming and a little awkward to screw up into the cupboards (again, a first timer).

Pretty happy with the result.