All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Add-on room vs. converting garage
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Add-on room vs. converting garage Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We live in a 3 bedroom 1700 sq foot home and are running out of room. What would create more bang for our buck, adding-on a 4th bedroom or simply converting our garage into another room? We plan on staying in this home for at least a couple more years but also want to take in consideration what effect this would have on selling our home in the future. Our budget is modest for the renovation/add-on. Any thoughts or experiences on this subject would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Your location would help.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Are garages the norm in your area? If so, not having one will hurt resale IMHO. If a lot of homes don't have garages the extra floor space may be more valuable.

2. If you converted the garage could you build a garage on the property and access it? An unattached garage will likely be easier and cheaper to build than blowing out walls to add on square footage.

3. If you converted the garage to a bedroom, would you add a bathroom as well? If not, what is the accessibility to the bathroom from the garage? If you have to go across the house from the bedroom to the bathroom it will be of limited value, at least to me.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 755 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your thoughts. Good things for me to think about. We live in Houston, Texas and garage are a staple around here but to be honest most people use them to store their junk not their cars. Thanks again.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You might want to contact a few good realtors for their opinions as well, since they would presumably have insight into what saleable options are now, what trends have been and might possibly be in the future.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would leave the garage alone as a new buyer would probably see himself parking his cars in it, even though it will turn into a junk shop later on (or maybe not )Either way it would be the new owners choice to use it or lose it.
        Another option would be to leave the garage door in place and build a false wall behind it as well as a platform to act as a floor. If a new owner wanted to use it as a garage, tearing the floor and false wall out would be easy

Posts: 2553 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I like nona's idea as the best overall bang for the buck.

For just short term, you can't beat the cost of converting your garage to living space. Most of the work is already done so you are just finishing out existing space to make it livable. However, on the back end you'll find that converting a garage is very costly. Since it is the 'norm' to have a garage in your area then not having one it a kiss of death when it comes time to sell. Even worse, you now will have a four bedroom house without a garage - that's something that you just don't see.

You are also unsure as to your time remaining in this house but if it's going to be less than 5 years than it will be tough to get your money out of any form of addition.

At this point, I would say to definitely do not permanently convert the garage to living space. Let's put that choice in 4th place.

Third place - Build an addition. Not a great choice if you move within 5 years as you will not recoup your remodeling costs.

Second place - Do a minimal conversion to make some or all of the garage into living space. Make any walls or changes such that they can be removed so that it can easily become a garage again when you do decide to sell.

First place - Sell your house now and find another that better suits your needs.

Jaybee

Posts: 10363 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I like option one, unless he is near the low end of the neighborhood in cost in today's market adding on for the short term rarely pays.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 755 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post