All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Flat/round clamps - accessibility issue
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Flat/round clamps - accessibility issue Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        I just Googled round clamps and found a lot but not what I was looking for. The ideal clamp would be flat on one side and round on the other.

The purpose is to fit over the front rungs of a walker and hold a basket (with or without a lip) so that a closed water mug can be carried without spillage and without having to remove either hand from the walker.

The flat side would clamp against the carrying basket and the round side would fit on the side of the walker closest to the person using it.

I think the diameter of the front rung of the walker is about 1", maybe 1.25". I'll check later on today when I have access to it.

The basket would hold the mug, but needs to be steady so the water doesn't tip. We have a cloth basket with a base but it's not adequate for this use.

Some walkers do have baskets, but according to therapists, there are only two manufactuers which make adaptable baskets, and none of the walkers we have are of those brands.

I've got some small C clamps and a plastic quart container that I'm going to try to rig up temporarily but I'm not sure if this will work.

Sounds like a nonissue for those of us who walk freely, but in this case it's a matter of safety. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        GS,
        How about a cable tie, you can pick up a canister with several hundred of them at Lowe's or Home Depot for a few bucks. For something that needs to be held tight to the unit use an automotive hose clamp. For toting water, get a bike frame water bottle cage and hose clamp it fast to the frame. My son has one on the lawnmower handle for when he's doing the 5 or 6 yards he knocks out in a day.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 622 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a canister of cable ties that I can try. I would think it would take several to hold the basket, but I have a lot of ties.

The basket doesn't need to be held tightly, but does need to be stable so it doesn't flop or move around and interfere with movement.

Gait, stability and stamina are issues here, so they're my priority. The basic goal is to get the bottle of liquid from the kitchen to other rooms without removing hands from the walker.

You're way ahead of us with the bike water bottle holder. A neighbor was over and suggested the same thing. We're going to try that.

The C-clamps I had were too small so that idea fizzled out, and I have no idea where the larger ones are hiding.

But I'll take out the cable ties and if those don't work well I'll try auto clamps, but I have a feeling the bike bottle holder will do the trick.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out on this issue.

posted Hide Post
        GS,
        Good luck, let me know how it works out.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 622 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, we cobbled something together this afternoon that seems to be working, for now. I got 2 automotive hose clamps and a cheap plastic basket with an aluminum (?) handle. Total cost: less than $3.00.

After the first try-out, we took the assembly apart and laid the handle down between the clamps and the plastic, as tightening the hose clamps enough to keep the basket stable created pressure on the plastic. Given that the basket was made in China, who knows how long it will last?

So we folded the handle down between the walker rung and the hose clamp and that worked better.

We also had to put a filled water bottle in the basket as we tightened the clamps as otherwise the basket would be off balance once the bottle was put in.

I don't know how long this will last or how long it will be needed, so I'm still keeping my options open.

If we hadn't had other commitments today I would have searched out a bike shop, but there weren't any in the area where I was and I wasn't in a mood to go driving around.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Look on some of the boating sites like West Marine and Cabalas they have cup holders that stay level.

joecaption

Posts: 17999 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 17999 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware that the attachable cups were available for marine applications. This is good to know if I need to replace what I have and don't find it at a bike shop.