All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Cutting Straight with a circular saw
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cutting Straight with a circular saw Sign In/Join 
        posted
        OK now I know everybody will say that I need to use a straight edge and I have. I feel as if the saw is turning to the left as I cut. Even when only cutting a 2x6 using a guide the end of my board is burnt. I have replaced my blade. The blade looks like it is straight. Could use some advise. Thanks from a novice who will enjoy projects much more when I can cut straight

Posts: 2 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: Mar 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Has the saw ever been dropped? Not real sure what type of guide you are using? If it is the type that attached to the foot plate it might not be true to your blade. It helps to turn the saw upside down. Using a true 2X material set your guide to where the edge just barely touches the edge of the sawblade. Is it meeting the edge on the front and back of the blade the same? If there is more of a gap at either end then the blade is not true to your guide.

When cutting 2X material I use a combination square held firmly in place and allow the edge of the saw foot plate to rest against it. Actually you are off setting the square edge to the blade. Make sense?

On larger or wider cuts ( Sheet goods)I attach a straight edge with clamps after marking a square line with a framing square and allow the saw foot plate to ride against it.

Posts: 1760 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        unplug the saw, and place the plug where you can see it. pull the blade guard back and put a quick-square on the base of the saw, and push it over to the fully-extended blade. if it's not square to the quick-square, loosen the bolt that holds the base and make them square to each other.

put the quick square across the blade and if it's not flat to the blade, and rotate that blade by hand to check it all out, replace the blade.

now spin up the saw with the guard back in place, and look at the edge to see if it looks "thick." if so, the saw arbor shaft is bent, and you need a new saw, the blade and shaft are wobbling and not in a plane. double-check after the saw is unplugged and you can see the plug that the blade was correctly mounted to the arbor. a "tipped" blade is a dangerous blade, it can come off. it has to be no-foolin flat against the arbor.

how many teeth does the blade have? for cutting plywood, you want something like 12 TPI or higher. for cutting framing stock, you want 6 TPI for thick stuff, 8 TPI for 2x4 or general use.

and you don't want a high-speed steel blade, you want carbide-tipped blades for a clean fast cut. high-speed steel blades cut on the same rake as the blade itself, so the blade naturally gets hotter and will burn the edge of the wood. carbide tips are generally sticking out a titch on each side from the blade itself, so there is cooling air. less burn on the cut.

an old saw with a dry bearing will try and pull towards that bearing. if you are dealing with one of the heavy, high-priced worm-drive saws with the motor behind the business end, not on the other side of the base, they do tend to yaw, and need a firm hand. nature of the beast.

and finally, a cheap no-name saw will generally be a badly balanced saw with one side of the handle "heavier" than the other. a good balanced saw cuts straighter. reviews lately have been kind to Milwaukee and Ridgid saws for balance and "feel." my Ridgid plays nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5786 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I really hate to ask this but is the blade on the correct way around, all the saw blades I have ever seen have arrows pointing out the proper rotation, if your getting burns on short cuts this would explain it,.....

This reminds me of good old Maine joke, Old timer finally gets tired of cutting firewood by handsaw and gets chainsaw from local hardware store, clerk tells him he'll love it. Several weeks later,he returns the saw and is very unhappy,says it's very heavy and more backbreaking than old handsaw. Clerk is bewildered and checks out saw and starts it up, the old man is startled and says "what's that noise".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        LOL! measure2

Posts: 6890 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        That sounds like something I'd do! Big Grin

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        round these parts, the joke's about Ole goes to see Sven at the hardware store, don'cha know, then. ya sure.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5786 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have many more where that came from,..."Bert and I",Marshall Dodge, Bob Marley,...plus my many trips to Down East and wife's relatives with endless supply of "stories"/tales. Also check out great book "Moose and a lobster walk into a bar" by John McDonald.

posted Hide Post
        Also hope Steve C has corrected saw problem,.. I just recently dissected my old circular saw (15+ year old Ryobi) after it sounded a bit sick,..cut too many bricks etc., after cleaning bearings and other innards then regreasing...it runs as good again as an old Ryobi could run.

posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the advise and the joke. Blade was on the right way haha. I believe the shaft that the blade attaches to is slightly bent.

Posts: 2 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: Mar 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post