All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Drywall repair / mud / paint
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Drywall repair / mud / paint Sign In/Join 
        posted
        so i have a few places where i had to repair drywall, approx a square foot in each area. the drywall went in great, but i attempted to tape and mud myself (first time) and at first, it appeared ok. i sanded, applied a second coat - sanded again but it was all over the place. i have areas with holes, bumps, cracks - you name it.

i cant for the life of me apply a perfect mud line like the pros. i decided to see how it would look and did some prime and paint over it, and just as i thought - its terrible.

any tips / suggestions on how to blend this better? there is no texture on the wall, but you can clearly see flat spots of the mud and where i made the repairs...

thanks...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You are using way too much mud. it's a mistake made by every single person who first does drywall work.

Pros will take three thin coats to cover a patch like this. Not unrealistic for a first-timer to need 4 or 5 coats to get it right. To put it into perspective, just from seeing the picture you used about 50x as much mud as needed.

To fix it, you'll have so sand it back down smooth. You'll likely hit your tape and burr it up - don't worry about that now - just get it smooth. Then start back with very,very, very thin coats of mud. So thin that you can see through them. Do not try to get full coverage with any one coat, just let the coats build up. Concentrate on making a smooth pass with no ridges. Once you get a passable coat then STOP! Let it cure so you can lightly sand it down before the next coat.

It takes years to get really good at this - it's much harder than most would think.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks Jaybee. i have a piece of new drywall that is 1'x1' so with mudding all the way around the seams, your right i did use a ton of mud. about half of a 4lb box of powder.

going thin didnt seem like it was doing anything, so i was trying to leave some on there, yet leave it smooth and feathered. for whatever reason, i just cant seem to get nice flat coat, using a 10 inch knife. if i get one half nice, then i get the line when i do the other half. etc.

i should have just hired the guy to do it but i thought i would save a couple of hundred... Frown

now, can i sand this down again even tho i have primed and painted over it? recommendation on what to use? to - basically start over?

thanks...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can sand and start over, even if you have primed. Get a pre-mixed drywall compound. Also easier if you start out with a 6" blade.

Again, less is more. Don't even try to cover it all with one coat, or even two.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post