All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Does James Hardie have any competition?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Does James Hardie have any competition? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        What's up with the pricing on James Hardie siding? Their prices have doubled since I last obtained a quote around a year and a half ago!
        I know the price of a ton of sand hasn't doubled in the last year and a half.
        I'm betting their employees' salaries have not doubled in the last year and a half--I know mine hasn't!
        So, do they get away with these high prices because they have no competition?

Posts: 264 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There are other manufacturers, I know that Certainteed makes some as does a company called Nichiha. I would bet that there are lots more. A year and half is a long time for building product prices. You are not only dealing with the cost to manufacture but also with the cost to deliver some very heavy products. Building products are also subject to changes in manufacturing runs and regional supply and demand changes. Prices change so much that suppliers are only guaranteeing quotes for three days - years ago it was thirty days or longer. Makes it tough to do estimates.

Last year I could buy 1/2" OSB for under $7 a sheet, now it's almost $14. OSB is not a Hardi product, so you can't blame it on them. Also keep in mind that the mark-up on lumber and other large building materials sucks. That's why home stores are doing better than traditional lumber yards - lumber sells with single-digit profit margins while things like tools, insulation or especially homeowner-friendly install kits have a very high markup.

Edit to add: I just noticed where you are from. Thanks to Sandy, your region is buying what.... Billions of dollars of building supplies? Supply and demand rules.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10139 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:

Edit to add: I just noticed where you are from. Thanks to Sandy, your region is buying what.... Billions of dollars of building supplies? Supply and demand rules.

I've also heard news reports of price gouging on building supplies in the wake of Sandy. Unfortunate, but it does happen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It isn't so much price gouging as supply and demand. After Katrina getting drywall was a major challenge, that's when they started importing all the crap from China with high sulfur content that corroded the electrical wires and fixtures and copper plumbing.

OSB prices have been all over the place. I haven't bought much lately, but I know during the Iraq war prices skyrocketed on the east coast because the military was shipping so much of it to Iraq and Afghanistan to build temporary and permanent structures.

During Sandy rather than letting the market dictate price on gasoline, when few stations had power and getting tankers into the stations that had power was a challenge NY gave gasoline away. Rationing by price is a great way to limit usage. Giving gas away is just a way of making really long lines and a lot of angry people when the supply inevitably runs out.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 622 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post