All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Suggestions for dealing with wires coming into the house
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Suggestions for dealing with wires coming into the house Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        If you've seen any of my recent posts, you already know that I'm in the process of removing the drip edge and fascia from the North side of my house (if I can ever get those d@mn stuck shingles off!)

I will be replacing the fascia with Azek.
        Currently, the main electric power line, the cable, and the telephone line (yes, I still have a land line) bolt into the fascia. All three fasteners were bent over from the strain of the wires they're holding up. I think that the pull of the wires on the fasteners will cause the fasteners to dig right into the relatively soft Azek.

Do you have any suggestions for ways I could protect the look of the Azek and, perhaps, make the wires look a bit better too?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 263 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        post a picture.....it will help a lot...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        North side after removing shingles

I'll see if I have a better picture when I get home tonight (I'm just on lunch at the moment). Each of the three wires you see in the picture are attached to the house by a screw of some sort. The screws are bent way over and dig into the wood.

Posts: 263 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd probably put a block in the wall below the facia trim and screw into that through the shingles when you install them. If you can get the screws into the stud without adding a block so much the better.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 621 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        As far as making the wires look better, a conduit sleeve with a mast would look better but that would involve bringing in the electric company to disconnect and reconnect the wires.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 621 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        as far as a bracket to screw the wires to the wall

try one of these...attach under the siding. sticking out in a small hole.

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your ideas Frodo and Sparky617.

Here are a couple more pictures to give you a better idea of the situation.
        Broadband Cable attached to fascia
        Electric Cable attached to fascia

Sparky, one of the issues motivating me to work on that side of the house is that we need to get our electric power upgraded, so I want to have that wall ready before the electrician does his work. Our panel is overloaded and the main breaker is arcing. So, when the electrician upgrades the service, the electricity will be turned off and, hopefully, I'll be able to (or get the electrician to) do a better job of attaching the cable.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        when ready to replace the facia boards call the elec co. they will disconnect then reconnect for you one shot..if your quick
        your data line. that loop is a water trap, needs to be there to keep condensation out of the cable
        bottom line. wires are a gotta have. you can pretty em up but they gotta be there. dont sweat em, it is what it is

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I agree, every abode has them. Just make them look as good as possible is all one can ask. Looks like you pulled whatever was behind the service out yourself. I too think it is a good idea to call your local power concern when you reattach the weatherhead. The NEC has spacing requirements when attaching SE cable with straps, I can post them if you need them. They will disconnect incoming power. And yes those rain loops are paramount in stopping water from flowing into parts of your electrical & communication system, as Frodo mentioned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1402 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Consider having the wires run under ground to get rid of all that mess.
        I'd bet when you up grade there going to have to run a new line from the pole to the house anyway.
        I had all my power, cable, and phone line rerun under ground by the utility company's and they did it for free because they were planning on up grading the wires in my area anyway.
        If your planning on using vinyl siding the problem with attaching anything to the side of the house with out using a siding block is it locks the siding in place. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot, and can buckle and depress the siding if attached to tight to the wall.
        Those stand offs Froto suggested may be fine for running steel pipes but wood look like poop and the threaded rod would rust out.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I like the underground idea as well, but in my experience you have to have your own pole for the power company to come off of their overhead lines to your underground ones. They won't install your drop down their pole. My dad did this in the house he built that I grew up in. I've had underground utilities in all 4 of the houses I've owned, but these were all newer homes, all but one built for me in a new sub-division. And the pre-owned home was built in 1987 in a then brand new subdivision.

General Disclaimer

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        On burying lines, I agree to check on that option in your area? It makes sense and really cleans up your visual yard space. Many future buyers will find it worthy also.
        We had a large tree take out our power drop last summer, and the local electric buried all of our elec/cable/phone free of charge, and placed our utility box at the bottom of the closest pole. But if your line has to extend over a neighbor's property to reach a pole, permission to trench a line there would be necessary.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks CommonwealthSparky, Frodo, JoeCaption, Sparky617, and Conrad,
        I like the idea of the underground lines too. The current lines sag so much that I'll often bump into them if I walk through my back yard carrying a ladder (not extended).
        But, when the electrician came to spec the work for the service upgrade, he estimated $1500 to $2000 for running the wiring underground.

BTW. Joe, My current siding is cedar, but am hoping to replace that with Hardie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SturdyNail,

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I'd get some more quote then. Unless this pole is a really long way from the house sure sounds way high to me.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        In this area no utilities will rework over head lines for free. But that is just here. You would have to have an electrician redo your service as in removing the SE cable and burying PVC so the utility can tug new cable. And yes you would be paying for the electrician, not the utility. If your electrician has to sub out the dig, remember the cost of a back hoe digging a 4' trench from that nearest pole to your house adds up quickly. As well as the electrical products need. That quote may or may not be a good price. {Would be in the ballpark in these parts for what it is worth}. You would know better than anyone on board, by getting two more quotes. It does boggle the mind how differently things can be priced out and preformed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1402 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        A post without any spam in it? Can't have that.

General Disclaimer