All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Need advice on cutting small pieces on miter saw.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need advice on cutting small pieces on miter saw. Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        Hello,

I've been cutting down small (1.5" x 2.75") blocks to use as mounts for exterior shutters. I'm cutting a taper to try to match the shingles' slant.
        One of these small pieces caught the miter saw blade, broke a tooth in the blade, and launched itself about 15 feet (fortunately, away from me, but dangerous nonetheless).
        From then on, I toenail screwed the small block onto the end of a longer piece so I could keep my hands further away from the blade. That process was tedious and, I can't help thinking, there must be a better way.

If you have a better way, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 339 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Some tips:

1. Get a high blade count - 100 teeth is good
        2. Accept the fact that you will generate a lot of waste. Use a larger piece of stock to cut and hold on to the longer end. After cutting, The small piece will be your work, the larger piece is trash.
        3. Drop the saw onto the wood very slowly and smoothly.

I had a saw take off the end of one of my fingers about ten years ago. I would not recommend it.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the tips Jaybee.

Regarding the waste, I failed to mention that I'm cutting PVC (Azek). I only had 3/4" (actual) thickness to work with and needed to build up a little over 1 1/8" (actual), so I used PVC adhesive to make 1 1/2" thick stock. In order to screw perpendicular to the bond, I have to cut (roughly) parallel to the bond. I hope that makes sense Confused

Sorry about your finger Jaybee. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. It certainly would put a damper on my guitar playing. I've seen one of the carpenters on Bob Villa's videos who has a few significantly shortened fingers. Not an enviable "badge of honor":-(

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SturdyNail,

Posts: 339 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        hold your working stock to a larger board with double back tape
        Try to cut as many as you can at one time.
        to free the stock from the tape, use mineral spirits

Posts: 2582 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        nona, double back tape is strong enough?

Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Hello. I thought I'd follow up with a description and pictures of what I ended up doing.
        For most of the cuts I attached a thin piece of metal to the face of a 2x4. The metal extended around 5/8" past the end of the 2x4. I screwed through the metal into the top of the work piece.
        Another approach was to create pocket holes on the face of the 2x4.
        Screwing through the pocket holes into the side of the work piece secured the work piece while I cut it with the miter saw.
        I had 40 of these cuts to do, so the need to secure each one while I made the cut proved to be pretty time consuming.
        The pocket holes and screws provided the most firm hold. Of course, it was important that the screws did not extend as far as the cut.
        Screwing through the metal brace was a bit quicker than the pocket holes, but the work piece did flare away from the 2x4 a little at the bottom. It was OK for my purposes though.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/a...1157_zpsbf778e1f.jpg
        http://i1070.photobucket.com/a...1158_zpsd2be7ed2.jpg
        http://i1070.photobucket.com/a...1166_zpsb5875f9b.jpg
        http://i1070.photobucket.com/a...1170_zps5a1f426e.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SturdyNail,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Very creative solution. Looks like no fingers were lost in the creating of this project. High fives all around (or High tens as the case may be!)

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        looks like you found the way that satisfies you, but , to add to my reply, I've been using double back tape to secure small parts for cutting for a long time. If you press the two pieces together firmly, you will have a hard time separating them without a solvent.
        There is two types of double back tape, paper back and cloth back, I've always used the cloth back for it strength

Posts: 2582 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Nothing else to add, just wanted to bump spammer phyllis of the top spot.

Jaybee