All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    sanding glued joint
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

sanding glued joint Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I glued two boards together and sanded them down in preparation for staining. I paid particular attention to the joint to be sure to get all of the glue off the surface of the wood. I checked real close and could not see any glue remaining. When I stained the wood in several places along the seam the stain did not take because of glue remaining. Is there a way to tell if all of the glue has been removed before actually applying the stain? Also are there any glues out there that will take a stain? I used Elmer's WoodGlue Max because it said it was "Stainable". What a crock that is. It clearly does not take stain. Appreciate your thoughts.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first, you might be using too much glue, and when you clamp the joint, the glue oozes out, so you quickly wipe it off with a wet or damp rag "WRONG", By wiping the excess glue when it is still wet, you make it easy for it to penetrate the surface. If you have glue squeeze out, the best thing you can do is to let it set up then scrape it off with a sharp chisel, then sand. You can check for any remaining glue by wiping the joint with mineral spirits, the glue will show up and you can sand it off. Or, you can buy a special light that displays the glue. I'll check my catalogs later and repost where you can get it, but if you just cut down on the amount of glue you use, you wont have any problems. If you are staining the wood to a darker color, you can buy colored glue that will blend in with the area
        You know you are using the correct amount of glue is when you clamp it, a tiny line of glue escapes the joint. It'll look like you just nicked yourself with a razor
        Also , don't over tighten the clamps or you will starve the joint
        http://www.titebond.com/produc...28-844a-0ef245db4dc7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2589 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post