DIY Message Boards
Basement Floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/7223971077

Apr 30, 2013, 10:34 AM
joecercone
Basement Floor
We finished our basement several years ago and installed carpeting. Since then, we have had several instances where the carpeting has gotten wet, most recently from a broken plumbing fixture. We have torn up the old carpeting and I am reluctant to put new carpeting down since it will probably get damaged at some point in the future. I'm thinking that some kind of high-build paint, similar to garage floor paint, might be an option. I'm looking for suggestions. TIA for your help.
Apr 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
Sparky617
I've not been impressed with the DIY garage floor epoxy paint performance. It might hold up better in the basement since it won't have hot tires turning on it at slow speeds.

Have you thought about staining the concrete?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Apr 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
swschrad
there is an interior 2-part epoxy paint, not garage grade, that wears a little better than the usual floor paint. how much better is yet to be seen, as we have put it down in closets and not on anything that gets a lot of wear.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
joecercone
Staining is out since the floor has remnants of old linoleum glue. I'm not too concerned about wear issues since it doesn't get a lot of traffic and we will likely be putting down some area rugs and runners. My main concern is moisture, so am leaning away from vinyl or linoleum.
Apr 30, 2013, 02:09 PM
swschrad
well, moisture is going to pop off any painty thing you put on the concrete sooner or later.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 02, 2013, 05:39 AM
dantebrown1986
Topping off your basement especially at your laundry area can be a big pain. Why not opt for Wood floors? They look great and elegant, plus less maintenance. Check out http://www.oaktreefloors.com/ they have different kinds of wooden floors suited for your basement. Hope this helps!