DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?


        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Repairing rotten T111 siding
        Repairing rotten T111 siding Sign In/Join 
        I have a shed that sits on a concrete slab. There was some miscommunication between the contractor and I when the grading was done and foundation and slab was poured and so the bottom of the siding (T-111 plywood) sits too close to the ground. Rains splash the bottom and over the years the plywood is rotting away. It's time to do something about it but I'm not sure what.

        I don't like the idea of replacing all of the sheets in their entirety when only the bottom 5 - 7" are damaged. I found this page: Reparing siding link which shows cutting the damaged sections out and replacing with a piece of Z flashing and then more siding.

        This seems ok but predestined to rot again in time. Is there a better way? I am thinking instead of cutting out the damaged section and replacing with a piece of the largest 1 or 2 x treated material I can find. Is this a good/bad idea? Not sure how to make it line up at the joining of the siding and lumber so that water doesn't wick back up into the siding.

        Other ideas?
        Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Replacing it with a piece of PT wood is not a bad idea. I'd go ahead and use the Z-flashing to transition from the T1-11 to the PT wood and I'd prime and paint the newly cut edge of the T1-11. IF the PT wood is dry, I'd probably prime the back and bottom edge before I installed it. Another more expensive option would be to use Azek cellular PVC instead of any kind of wood.

        General Disclaimer

        Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

        My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Posts: 732 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Repairing rotten T111 siding

        © Scripps Networks 2009


        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.