All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    DIY solar heater for a pool.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

DIY solar heater for a pool. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am toying around with the idea of making a solar heater for my pop-up pool. Around September unless we get a major heat wave in Pennsylvania you simply end up with a pond that is not good for much and if you don't treat it you are creating a mosquito colony.
        Any websites that could help would be appreciated.
        The plan is to take rigid extruded polystyrene foam insulation sheets and create a shallow box and line it with aluminum foil. Then take 24 feet of corrugated pipe and run it in the box. Cover that with a plexiglass lid. Face it toward the sun and pump the water through it.

Do I coil it or line it long ways?
        Should I put it in tightly for a smaller size or leave gaps for a larger panel and maybe a better heat exchange?
        Is the aluminum foil the best choice to line the box or would black material be better?
        How do I determine if this will increase the pool temp enough? Mathematical formulas...and where do I find these?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You could do the poor man's version with a garden hose on the roof. Use 3/4 black or dark hose and snake it in an s pattern back and forth.

Posts: 2484 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have all the materials and the pool is next to my garden, which is covered in a black tarp type material. I have read a lot of post and have seen pictures but nobody mentions how their results are. If I am going to build something I want to make sure it will be worth doing.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post