DIY Message Boards
DIY solar heater for a pool.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/7073912377

Aug 21, 2013, 05:58 PM
raidencmck
DIY solar heater for a pool.
I am toying around with the idea of making a solar heater for my pop-up pool. Around September unless we get a major heat wave in Pennsylvania you simply end up with a pond that is not good for much and if you don't treat it you are creating a mosquito colony.
Any websites that could help would be appreciated.
The plan is to take rigid extruded polystyrene foam insulation sheets and create a shallow box and line it with aluminum foil. Then take 24 feet of corrugated pipe and run it in the box. Cover that with a plexiglass lid. Face it toward the sun and pump the water through it.

Do I coil it or line it long ways?
Should I put it in tightly for a smaller size or leave gaps for a larger panel and maybe a better heat exchange?
Is the aluminum foil the best choice to line the box or would black material be better?
How do I determine if this will increase the pool temp enough? Mathematical formulas...and where do I find these?
Aug 21, 2013, 10:32 PM
mosternaz
You could do the poor man's version with a garden hose on the roof. Use 3/4 black or dark hose and snake it in an s pattern back and forth.
Aug 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
raidencmck
I have all the materials and the pool is next to my garden, which is covered in a black tarp type material. I have read a lot of post and have seen pictures but nobody mentions how their results are. If I am going to build something I want to make sure it will be worth doing.