All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Waterfall thru window well
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Waterfall thru window well Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I recently built up the foundation of my house with a lot of dirt to get the water to flow away from the house whereas before the foundation level was low enough to have water sitting between the house and adjacent sidewalk during a good rain.

We just got a lot of rain and to my surprise, I have a waterfall coming into my window well where the well attaches to the side of the house.

This happened before I laid the dirt, how can it possibly be happening now? I'm tempted to dig out the area down to where the water is spilling thru but not sure what that will accomplish. Very frustrated. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I remember when you asked about adding soil on another post, so I searched for that to check out the photo:

http://boards.diynetwork.com/e...353922308#9353922308.

Is it this same window that's now filled with water? Without seeing a current photo, I'm wondering if there's an angle downward where the added fill meets the window well and the water is running down the fill into the well?

If so, you might have to add some kind of vertical extension around the well to prevent this, i.e., create a wall around the well to prevent runoff from the fill.

The other thing I thought of might be that the fill is loose and the water is just running right through it on whatever is the path of least resistance, instead of gradually soaking in.

But I'll look forward to seeing the photos as right now I'm just guessing.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        While adding the dirt improves the water flow away from the house, by doing so you have actually made it much more likely to get that 'waterfall' from your basement window. Simply put, dirt is not waterproof. Building up the dirt against the foundation and sloping it away from the house is great for surface water - however the soil will still soak up water. With an even deeper well now around that window, some of the moisture in the dirt will find it's way to the window well, where it is not trapped.

You'll need to dig back out and install some form of liner to the window well that extends all the way up to the new ground level. A clear cover on top would be needed too. Possibly, you may need to dig out more to install a drain in the bottom of the window well too.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        How are your gutters vinny186?
        My window wells used to fill up when there was a heavy rain. From the basement, the window looked like a fishbowl--a fishbowl that leaked profusely!
        We got new gutters that were pitched better and that kept the majority of the water out of the window wells.
        But, I'm sure there is some ugly stuff growing behind the basement wall that used to get soaked Frown

Posts: 349 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        gutters count.

you could loosen the fasteners to the window well, clean out the dirt, shoot a few tubes of polyurethane caulk in there, sorta-tighten the well back up, and finish the tightening tomorrow. but then the water would come in the bottom. and you would have done all that digging to access the well for naught.

if meaningful gutter tricks don't help, and your downspouts don't go downhill at least 10 feet, you may need a hard surface along that wall. a French drain might help, assuming it's far enough out so water doesn't leach back.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Vinny, do you have any pics to share yet?

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post