All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    how to cut safety glass
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

how to cut safety glass Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        my moms house has a florida room,
        i believe the glass is safety glass...i want to cut out a square in the door for a cat door. but was told you can not cut safety glass...
        is that true? can it be cut?

the squares you see are bugular bars, not part of the glass

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Nope, you can't cut it. Any safety glass that has holes or cut-outs will have those done first, then it will be tempered into safety glass. Once it's tempered it cannot be cut or drilled again.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        not the answer i wanted...but is the answer i expected.....thank you very mucho

no door for the kitty....
        just have to keep getting up and do as i am told
        every time he meows....spoiled cat!

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        You could always cut a hole in the wall?
        But I would have an electronic catch on it (with a key collar for the cat), so just the cat could go in and out. Or else it is liable to attract other small animals that she may not want inside.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        like this guy?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I can't tell from the pic but are there any sliding doors? If so, there is a full-height door panel that's about 1' wide that contains a pet door.

Installing in the wall is a good idea too, provided you have any wall space.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        no wall space , the room is glass
        except the inside corner.