All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    HDTV Mount on existing setup.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

HDTV Mount on existing setup. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I hope this is the right section!

Okay. I'm attempting to replace my old HDTV and mount with a new HDTV/mount. The new mount takes up two studs instead of one, and the new tv is 50 inches instead of the 37 (old tv). There are a few issues that worry me that I'll mention below:

Situation 1:

If you take a look at PHOTO1, you'll see a little white spot. That's one of the old holes that the old mount used. I patched it up so I can paint over it and pre-drill it again (I was a little off the first time and made a hole in the drywall (not the stud) a little bigger because I couldn't find the existing hole, so I re-patched it now that I know where the old hole actually is. The difference is the fact that although both mounts require 7/32 bits, the new mount requires me to drill 3.5 inches in the stud. The old mount only required 2.5 inches into the stud.

That said, my question is, do you think it's safe to do this, or must I bring the mount a little lower to avoid that existing hole?

Situation 2:

This is where I really need the DIY assistance. Through giving you the existing measurements of my permanent setup (speaker placement, entertainment mount placement), I want to know exactly how high or how low I should put this mount. Everything you need will be attached as photos: The mount measurements, tv measurements, tv model number, distance from top center speaker to the very top of the entertainment center, complete with photos.

Center speaker is about 39 inches from the top of the VF2022 (glass mount).

Left and right speakers are about 56 1/2 inches from each other.

TV: LG 50GA6400

Dimensions without stand (W x H x D): 44.7 x 26.6 x 1.4 (inch)

Mount: See attached photo links for mount measurements.

Mount model number: LF228

(If you need any other measurements, I will give them to you!)

I just need assistance in the (VERTICAL) placement of this mount so that the tv is as close to the center speaker as possible without obstructing the center speaker, or any electronics on the top glass shelf. The tv also needs to be able to be pushed all the way back to the wall (or close enough to it). I really hope you all can help because money is tight and calling a professional... well... I prefer DIY Big Grin

PS. If you want to see the actual instruction manual to the mount: http://www.sanus.com/assets/products...8175_LF228.pdf

Measurements on page 3!

Photo1: http://i43.tinypic.com/n9x08.jpg
        Photo2: http://i43.tinypic.com/2d7vdcw.jpg
        Photo3: http://i41.tinypic.com/242izra.jpg
        Mount specs: http://i40.tinypic.com/257kvw5.jpg

If you need additional measurements to help me make this work, please let me know (:

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Putting your new longer screws into the existing holes will be fine.

With respect to placement, you want the TV to be eye level when seated for the most comfortable viewing. This is why putting a TV above a fireplace is such a bad idea, well that and the heat from the fireplace baking the TV.

So in looking over the pictures I'd have the top of the TV right under the center speaker. Figuring out where to mount the mount given this is a matter of putting the mount on the back of the TV and figuring out the distance from the holes in the mount to the top of the TV. If the hole lands where the existing hole was, it will be fine, if not, no biggie drill a pilot hole and mount it there.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with Sparky - fortunately installing a TV mount is less complex than surgery. As long as your mounting bolts are set into solid studs, the TV is not blocking the speakers and the TV height is at a comfortable viewing level as seen from where you plan to sit it will work fine.

Longer bolts are not an issue as long as they are less than 4". If you need to modify bolt hole locations on the base plate that hits the wall, you can do so. From your pics is it looks like your only issue will be making sure that you hit studs. In that vein, if the TV mount is too small to span over a stud area, you can mount a 3/4" plywood plate that spans over a couple of studs. Then you can install the mount to the plywood. (with shorter screws)

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post