Message Boards

Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

spam Sign In/Join 
        posted
        several years ago this entire forum was invaded by people who didn't have anything to do except use locker room language repeatedly. Administrators of the board solved the problem by not allowing anyone who was not registered to post a question or answer. This stopped the potty mouths
        But now, it seems that the administrators, if there are any, don't seem to care what gets posted, thus allowing all that spam.
        I think that the administrators are hoping that no one comes to this forum so they can do away with it. Prehaps they aren't making enough money from the advertisers, you think ?
        I find that I'm spending less time here and more time on another board that is just as comprehensive but controls the garbage ( www.houserepairtalk.com )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I don't think anyone at DIY is trying to get rid of this board - if they wanted that they would just pull the plug.

Rather, we have been invaded by a very persistent spammer. The bad news is that if such a spammers wants to take over a message board like ours, it is very easy to do. There are spam programs that can bypass CAPTCHA as well as generate a real email address for confirmation. Spammers can still be banned, but it needs to be done on an individual basis otherwise real posters will get banned in the process. At last count, our current spammer has generated 59 different log-in names.

Add to that is the timing. DIY started cleaning house last week and purged the Knitting forum back to last summer. The Knitting forum got his with continuous bot posts much like what is currently going on with the Kitchen forum. However, we are two days past Christmas. Scripts and the main offices for all things DIY are here in Knoxville where I live - and they are shut down for the holidays. Several of us have sent messages into forum moderators and I'm sure that they will take action - once they get back to work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is a way to reduce entry of spammers during registration... install a feedback loop. as in "thanks for registering on PlanedBoard, we have sent a confirmation code to your email. click the link and enter the code to complete your registration."

these can be screen-scraped, you can even hack the "I_Love_You" virus a little bit and you have 80% of the visual basic code already written for you. but it takes a tad bit more work, and spammers like easy pickings. there may not be a plug-in they can slap in from the darknet for that.

rotate the type of sentence surrounding the confirmation code to make the screen scraping section of code less reliable, and you have an even better chance of keeping the spammers down. that prevents using pattern matching on the preceding word to the magic varying registration code.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Looks like DIY was putting in some holiday time!

The spam is now gone and even the Kitchen forum is safe to use again. A few of the less prolific spam log-in names were missed but those have all been turned in and will soon be gone too.

Hopefully they will stay away. Time will tell.

Thank you DIY moderators!

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        What a pleasure it is to return here without the pages and pages and hundreds of obnoxious spam posts! Big Grin

Thank you to everyone who reported spam to DIY, and thank you DIY.

(I didn't even get a chance to contact the DEA and FBI to sic them on the druggie spammers!)

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        there is a way to reduce entry of spammers during registration... install a feedback loop. as in "thanks for registering on PlanedBoard, we have sent a confirmation code to your email. click the link and enter the code to complete your registration."

I've had to register this way for just about any forum I've joined.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        OK, most of the spam posts are gone and most of the spam log-in ID's have been deleted. However, the same spammer / spambot is still here and will likely remain for a while. Any of the 'dsouza" posts are from the same spam source - but they try to get past with a innocent looking topic. Safe to say that the dsouza family will soon be extinct.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        there's one family tree we will not see on ancestry.com Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Just bumping to get the dsouza off the main topic line. I think it's a new word: Dsouza. n. One who is too stupid to create an original fake spamming name.

Jaybee

Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Look like the board has been cleaned up. Might have been too much to ask for a quick cleaning with the holidays and all that. Job well done. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Just bumping to get the dsouza off the main topic line. I think it's a new word: Dsouza. n. One who is too stupid to create an original fake spamming name.

Looks like this spammer might actually be able to read. It's created a new handle. Or maybe it just has multiple personalities.

Bumping again to push down the spammer.

posted Hide Post
        Somehow any post that has a subject line of "hello to all of you" isn't worth my time clicking on.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 852 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post