DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?

        0

        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    How to handle mold?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Reply
          
        How to handle mold? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        After a very wet and humid start to the summer, we found we had a very moldy chimney. Apparently, our old bricks were extremely porous and were just soaking up all the moisture and then it was molding. We had a chimney service come. They checked for cracks, etc. and then they applied water repellent to the whole chimney exterior. The expert noted the mold smell coming through our blower vents, and the condensation, and said that it would resolve itself once it dried up outside. Does this sound right to anyone? We still have a very moldy smell coming from the fireplace. I know the humidity has not dropped, and we've had more rain, so there has not been much time for improvement. But I want to get some more opinions. Should I have a mold inspection? Light a fire? Help! Thanks!
         
        Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If your chimney is still sound, I'd go ahead and light a fire. Certainly can't hurt and should kill any mold spores in and near the flue.


        Jaybee
         
        Posts: 10100 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'll try it tonight. Wish it would get below 80 so I didn't feel so weird about it. Smile

        There seems to be a small air leak where the interior brick facing of our fireplace meets the ceiling. I know this because a little mildew is up there in a blow pattern the last few days. Should I caulk the seam?
         
        Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Put some bowls of baking soda or cat litter around the areas that smell of mold; they'll help absorb the odor. I wouldn't put them by the fireplace when it's on though.
         
        Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

        Tonight we noticed bubbles in the paint on the wall to the right of the fireplace. I cut away a bubble and it doesn't appear to be wet underneath. Is it possible the very high humidity is causing this to happen? We painted that wall last year.
         
        Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If there was moisture trapped within the wall surface prior to being painted, it could cause the bubbles.


        Jaybee
         
        Posts: 10100 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Question on the moisture in the chimney...wouldn't there be moisture accumulating on the interior of the bricks as well as the exterior, and if so, would sealing the exterior only solve the problem?
         
        Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The water repellent is "breathable". So apparently air and moisture can come out, but not in. Just waiting for that to happen...
         
        Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Do you currently have a functioning rain cap/spark arrester on the chimney???

        This keeps rain/snow from falling inside and causing moisture issues in the brick. If this is not addressed, any other fixes will not last.
         
        Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, our chimney cap was installed 2 years ago, so it should be good. We had a chimney expert out last week to waterproof the chimney and he said everything else looked good. Although I suppose he could have been wrong. This afternoon I see new bubbles on the ceiling along the edge of the fireplace wall. I've called a contractor and am hoping to hear back soon. Luckily, there does not appear to be any bubbling in the same wall upstairs. I think it's seepage from the chimney and suspect the moisture that got in before sealing did not evaporate the way we were told it would. We'll see...
         
        Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  
         

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    How to handle mold?

        © Scripps Networks 2009

        Advertisement

        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.