All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Slightly off topic: moveable seating
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Slightly off topic: moveable seating Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        I'm trying to figure out a way to easily and relatively comfortably haul a lawn chair or other lightweight portable seating through large areas to provide needed respite.

We'll be going to senior expos and air museums with only a walker for support, but the long distances are going to mean that some down time will be required for rest for my 95 year old father.

I doubt that the places we're going to be visiting have seating throughout the facilities.

I've wanted to just bring a wheelchair, but that option has been rejected, as has a walker with a seat.

I was wondering if there was a way I could attach castors to the aluminum frames of a lawn chair so that I could just haul it by attaching a bungee cord to my waist or around my wrist, albeit this is a somewhat primitive solution. (I realize I'll feel somewhat like a goat hauling a wagon Big Grin .)

My thoughts are that the castors would have to be clamped onto the round frames of the chair, which I don't think would be very workable. Maybe a flat piece of wood could be attached to the base to create something flat to attach the casters? But how could it be stabilized not only during the hauling process but for sitting?

Any suggestions, or is this just not feasible?

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Why not one of these? They fold up quickly and come with a carrying case you can sling over your shoulder.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co...yword=folding+chairs

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 716 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        GS you might consider one of these. Really light weight and portable.

http://www.google.com/imgres?i...qi=2&ved=0CGkQ9QEwAw

Posts: 1752 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'll second the vote for the folding chair - the better ones come in a case with rollers. We have used similar chairs at somewhere around 1.78 million soccer games over the years - they are light yet comfortable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        try one of these walker/chair

as far as them rejecting it......well...tell em its either the walker chair, or they can "schlep" the other. you aint no mule!!!!!! lol

i have an extra electric wheel chair, the rascal,,,needs batteries...you pick it up
        we cant sell it, cause she says the ins paid for it. but we can give it away

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. I like the idea of a chair that can be stored in a bag for more compact carrying. One with rollers in a case would also be very nice. If I can’t find a rolling one, I also like the idea of using the rolling luggage carrier, which I always take to expos anyway to store all the literature and freebies we collect. I could bungee cord the chair right to the carrying handle. So a combination of both suggestions might be the optimum solution.

One thing does concern me, but we’ll test that when we look at chairs. Getting up from a chair to a walker isn’t always easy, especially if the chair isn’t very sturdy. So that will be something we’ll need to check out.

Still, these options are good ones and I think would work better than the folding aluminum lawn chairs with castors that I was originally considering.

Frodo, your suggestions are somewhat different and I know you’re sincere, so I want to explain the situation and my operating parameters. I assume from your posts that you’re taking care of your mother, so you’re most likely familiar with both the physical and emotional issues of people with compromised mobility.

Dad is absolutely emphatic that he’s not going to use either the walker with a seat or a wheelchair, which while this position makes mobility in large spaces like museums more complicated, is something I have to respect because at least he still has that positive “can do” attitude. He’s not ready to acknowledge that he needs something more than a walker with occasional assistance. So a motorized wheelchair would also be anathema to him - an acknowledgment that he isn’t going to get better. And I’m thankful that he still has this level of perseverance at 95 years old. I also know what attitudes are changeable and which are not, and this is an attitude I want to respect and encourage.

He’s agreed to the portable chair idea, so I’ll settle for that. Chauffeur (or rather chauffeuse?) I am. Mule I am not. (But I can bray loudly when I’m mad!) Big Grin I can easily pull a luggage carrier or chair on wheels behind me. And it’s actually easier than pushing a wheelchair around.

In addition, I think it’s important enough for him to visit these air museums that I’m willing to be more flexible. One we plan to visit is the Yankee Air Force Museum at Willow Run, which has the old Warbirds we want to see, including some Fortresses. I’ve met folks who staffed this museum and others who piloted the Warbirds to air shows. These are folks who know that Fifi isn’t a name for an adorable little lap dog. They’re also the kinds of people with whom Dad will connect, share flight and war stories, and this experience will be very inspirational for him. It’s worth at least 2 or 3 Ruby Tuesday rib dinners and Dairy Queen Blizzards in terms of mental outlook! So it’s worth it for me to be flexible.

I appreciate your offer of the motorized wheelchair, and there may be a day when I accept it, but our goals are still more PT and eventually putting the walker back in storage.

Thanks again for your offer, and to Sparky, Redoverfarm and Jaybee for taking the time to help with this issue. I know that our trips will be easier because of each of your suggestions.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post