All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    shower grout repair question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

shower grout repair question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a few questions, and I will provide backstory further on down if you need more information.

It looks like I only can post one attachment per post, so I will add the other images in the following posts:

How do I clean up this mess. It won't scrub off. I believe its a combination of extremely hard water and soap that makes the grout and part of the tile look really bad.

How to I remove old caulking? Tried to scrape it off with the removal tool, but can't get it out of all the crevices. Any suggestions?

I have gaps in the grout where the wall meets the floor. Can I put flexible grout above the existing grout, or do I need to remove the existing grout first.

Full story:

Moved into house 5 years ago. There were separation in the grout in the shower. I noticed wood along the shower having water damage. I assumed water was leaking around the cracks in the grout in the shower. I put the heavy duty, anti-mildew, waterproof, non-silicon shower caulking along all the edges of the shower. After a year or two, caulking would have black underneath it so I scraped it out and started over. After numerous times I realized this is not a long term solution.

I came across the flexible grout recently, and was going to give it a try. I had made some repairs on other grout in the house (not around water) by putting the flexible grout (in a caulking gun) over existing ground. I was going to try this, but figured I would ask and make sure I don't need to remove the old grout first.

While in the process, I also figured I would ask to see if there were any suggestions on cleaning up the grout/tile pictured.

Thanks!!!

shower 1

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Pic 2

pic 2

posted Hide Post
        pic 3

pic 3

posted Hide Post
        pic 4

pic 4

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I doubt if this will surprise you: You will need to get all that old crud out of there. Sure, you could coat over it and it would look a little better - for a little while. But, if you really want to make a long-term fix you will need to scrape off all the excess caulk used for a repair. Plus, rip out at least the top layer of grout and regrout with new.

It looks like you have several years worth of repairs on top of repairs. If you don't remove all the old repair efforts first all you will do is add another short-term layer.

Jaybee

Posts: 10434 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I'll go a step further.
        Time to bite the bullet and remove the tile, what's behind it and start over.
        I'd bet you'll find rotted moldy drywall was used behind that tile not tile board.
        There never should have been that big gap in the corner like that if the tile had of been installed correctly in the first place.
        Inside corners and any place the tile meets a different material there should have been color matched silicone caulking not grout.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post