All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Laminate flooring
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Laminate flooring Sign In/Join 
        posted
        After many discussions, ( okay arguments) I tiled half of the basement floor. The other half is laminate. " it creates two separate spaces!" ( whatever) before the tiles were installed I was promised that I wouldn't be taking them up in the near future ! Well , it's been four years and she wants the tile gone! Words of wisdom, I can be right, or I can be happy!
        My question is. if the height of the existing tile and laminate are the same, can I simply go over both with the new floor? Or is it best to remove everything?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jan 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Probably can if it is a non-substrate attached flooring such as laminate. Just use a underlayment help on the joints of the tile. Not sure of a moisture problem if you had used a moisture barrier the first time around with the laminate.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        like stacking cake too high, this can lead to disaster.

why not just chip out the tile and continue the laminate that way? rent a demo hammer, with a bull point to crack out the first tile, and a big flat chisel bit to get under and pop the other tiles.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Definitely best to remove the tile. If the laminate is a floating floor then there is no choice - you do not want to install one floor on top of a floating laminate.

The other issue is height - any doors and trim will need to be redone if you stack on top..

Jaybee

Posts: 10469 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        "right or happy?" great question, not sure if the DIY Board is the right place.

If you pull-up the tile, is the current laminate still in stock and would the new laminate look diff fron the 4 yr older worn laminate? Hey, Two-Tone, it still could be two separate like places.

Depending on the size and budget, if the old lamimnate cannot be matched, I would redo the whole thing...good luck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,

Posts: 365 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post