DIY Message Boards
Laminate flooring

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5993944008

Jan 13, 2014, 08:17 PM
Travis2897
Laminate flooring
After many discussions, ( okay arguments) I tiled half of the basement floor. The other half is laminate. " it creates two separate spaces!" ( whatever) before the tiles were installed I was promised that I wouldn't be taking them up in the near future ! Well , it's been four years and she wants the tile gone! Words of wisdom, I can be right, or I can be happy!
My question is. if the height of the existing tile and laminate are the same, can I simply go over both with the new floor? Or is it best to remove everything?
Jan 13, 2014, 09:13 PM
redoverfarm
Probably can if it is a non-substrate attached flooring such as laminate. Just use a underlayment help on the joints of the tile. Not sure of a moisture problem if you had used a moisture barrier the first time around with the laminate.
Jan 13, 2014, 09:15 PM
swschrad
like stacking cake too high, this can lead to disaster.

why not just chip out the tile and continue the laminate that way? rent a demo hammer, with a bull point to crack out the first tile, and a big flat chisel bit to get under and pop the other tiles.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jan 13, 2014, 09:19 PM
Jaybee
Definitely best to remove the tile. If the laminate is a floating floor then there is no choice - you do not want to install one floor on top of a floating laminate.

The other issue is height - any doors and trim will need to be redone if you stack on top..

Jaybee
Jan 14, 2014, 11:24 AM
tstex
"right or happy?" great question, not sure if the DIY Board is the right place.

If you pull-up the tile, is the current laminate still in stock and would the new laminate look diff fron the 4 yr older worn laminate? Hey, Two-Tone, it still could be two separate like places.

Depending on the size and budget, if the old lamimnate cannot be matched, I would redo the whole thing...good luck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,