DIY Message Boards
What Happened to Cool Tools?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5793968177

Jul 03, 2013, 05:46 PM
flipout2
What Happened to Cool Tools?
Is Cool Tools coming back? It was one of my faves!
Jul 03, 2013, 05:56 PM
Jaybee
Pretty sure they have been out of production for a few years now.

Jaybee
Jul 03, 2013, 08:29 PM
nona
funny, I just posted a reply, but the censors didn't like what I said, even though there was no profanity nor flaming in it. Yet they still allow the spam
I will say that my remark wasn't complementary to the host
Jul 03, 2013, 10:26 PM
Jaybee
May not be the censors. I've had random posts from time to time just disappear. Could be that they never appear as I only notice the next time that I'm in the thread. Pretty sure that they didn't contain any bad keywords.

Besides, there is no end to posts claiming to really dislike the host of CoolTools.

If they are monitoring that closely though, you would think that they would kill all the spam - especially since much of it has been reported.

I'm betting that it was just a glitch that killed your post.

Jaybee
Jul 04, 2013, 02:07 AM
flipout2
If that show was still on, they would want to check the Flipout Tantrum screwdriver - it transforms into 168 shapes so you can get into tight spaces.
Jul 04, 2013, 12:23 PM
nona
not a glitch, I tried twice.
Jul 04, 2013, 12:28 PM
Jaybee
I know that there is an autocensor here but I really don't think that much time is spent proofreading our posts. If it got removed quickly then it must be an autocensor thing. Could be something random, like a work that ends in 's' followed by the word 'hit' for example. Just guessing here.

Maybe DIY doesn't like you anymore. Big Grin

Jaybee
Jul 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
swschrad
have accidentally fallen into the NannyMatic (tm) here a couple of times, and the m.o. of that thing is your post is not posted, but held in Nanny Jail pending approval. which seldom comes.

as for Cool Tools... I suspect Grundy oversold and underdelivered too long in his pitch style.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 05, 2013, 08:34 AM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nona:
not a glitch, I tried twice.

Nona, try using underscores or dashes to separate the letters of what you think might be the offending words (although sometimes it's hard to guess which ones fall in that cateogry).

E.g., p_o_l_i_t_i_c_s. I've found that references to that topic, or to C-o-n-g-r-e-s-s will trigger the so-called reviews. At one time "Mormon" would, but apparently that's an accepted word now.

I find it ironic that we can't post innocuous words but the spammers can continue to grind out gibberish and nonsense, sometimes on a daily basis.
Jul 05, 2013, 02:11 PM
CommonwealthSparky
Was an interesting show, but mostly product placement at its finest. Never really needed to go out an make a purchase of any said tool promoted, as I recall. Chris Grundy was a bit over the top, but lets face it as it TV. Everybody {I think} enjoys TOHs Norm Abrams but place him in the CT host spot. His dry, laid back natural style is perfect for TOH, but would not fly on Cool Tools.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Jul 05, 2013, 02:47 PM
GardenSprite
I think Norm would be a good instructor and/or professor. He's knowledgeable, creative, calm, thorough, nondemonstrative and not silly as are some of the tv hosts. Just the facts from Norm.

Or Roy Underhill could play the same role for hand tools. He has extensive knowledge on manual woodworking options, and the patience to labor through the sometimes drugery of all that manual work. It takes a really different mindset to avoid use of any power tools.
Jul 05, 2013, 04:39 PM
Sparky617
I enjoyed New Yankee Workshop but I did grow tired of Norm's 3000 square foot shop with $300,000 worth of tools. "now I'll just run this through my 36" belt sander" Though he never did get a computer driven router set up, so I guess he held back "a little." Towards the end of NYW had a set up that a commercial shop would envy, and was definitely out of reach of the home enthusiast. Norm never met a power tool he didn't want or need in the NYW.

The is probably the coolest thing about Roy Underhill, where everything is done with simple hand tools some of which he has built himself. He doesn't even start out with 4 sides sanded finish wood when building something, sometimes he splits the wood out and works it from rough to finished in the project.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jul 05, 2013, 08:15 PM
CommonwealthSparky
I too tired of NYW very early. Norm made great pieces in 22 minutes. Well, somebody did. Not big on all the machinery to be properly set up by staff for 100% perfect cuts week in and week out. Must be envy on my part. I know time restraints played a big part in this, but I always though set up was important as well. Did enjoy all the types of stains and varnish finish work he would do.
Roy Underhill is carried by the same PBS station as TOH & ATOH. Sorry but I can bear to watch the show.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Jul 06, 2013, 09:37 AM
GardenSprite
I used to think that the DIY shows were basically instructive, untli I read the posts here from those with much more knowledge and experience on the purpose of these shows.

So couldn't NYW also be considered a show now only of furniture construction but of product placement for Norm's extensive array of tools? In that light, I think it's actually more informative than some of the more dramatic DIY shows made in 2013, especially the landscape ones with over-the-top yard features.

His shop really was something to envy, though. Most folks get by with a corner in the garage, if that.

CS, what is it about Underhill's show that you don't like? I do find that sometimes I grow impatient with the lengthy process it takes to make something, especially a hand tool.

Once he was making something very basic, perhaps a screwdriver. The process was so slow that I found myself losing interest, but I still respect his art and skill.

One program featured a woman and I think her father making some kind of chairs from wood which if I recall correctly was actually harvested by them. It was fascinating - cradle to grave furniture making 101. Those are the kinds of shows that I find really informative.

Victory Garden also had one segment on a making trellises from hand gathered material - I don't recall the type of vine the woman used, but it was interesting.

I really enjoy shows that feature items made from scratch - they're something I can do. I will likely never be able to make even 1/10 of what Norm makes, so they're basically out of my reach.
Jul 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
nona
my idea of what would be an interesting show would be one that the host uses the tools that is usually in a persons shop, hand tool, table saw, drill press, planer , maybe a jointer, bandsaw, etc, that type of tools.
There used to be a show that featured 2 brothers that did just that. They made everyday items that most woodworkers would make. There also was a program of father and son that did everything using a router, now that was a cool show