All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    kids room storage
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

kids room storage Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I need some ideas for storage in my kids room. I have twins (B&G) that share the same room that isn’t very big with all of their toys in it. A lot of the toys are stored in plastic storage bins, but even those take up space and I desperately want to free up the floor space for room to play and for friends that sleep over. Only solution I’ve came up with is to line the wall with shelves to store their toys and decorations. But I wanted to see if someone out there may have a better idea. Pictures of your ideas would be of great help! I also need it to be cost friendly.

Posts: 216 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        how about perhaps building a hanging wall shelf system and using those ubiquitous canvas storage "bins" to put things in? later on they can become bookshelves. this will open up the floor underneath them, and you can control how much stuff is on the floor at any one time by building them from 3 feet up, and only taking down one bin at a time.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5723 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Don't forget the space under the beds if they are of age to have seperate beds. If you can find some sturdy bins and mount casters to the bottom where they can easily roll under the beds. Now is a good time to teach them organizational traits. Have specific areas for different things. Pick up on their own is a major trait that you will appreciate down the road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1753 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The only wall storage I can think of offhand is such that your children wouldn't be able to reach it and put away their own toys, assuming that they're still quite young since they share a room.

If you're the "toy storage exec", something like these units would be good since they could be mounted high enough off the floor to allow free space underneath.

Wall mounted shelves

Smaller wall mounted storage units

Office style wall mounted cabinets

(Ignore the tall cabinet in this link)

The other option would be something like the rolling storage in the last link. The units could be moved for playtime and back again for storage. We did this with pantry and pie safe kits I bought and assembled. You could also get stock cabinets and add the castors yourself. Office Max also has some office units that could be adapted with castors.

Another less ideal option would be pegboard storage. The baskets could be removed from the pegboard base and placed on the floor for play, but put back higher for storage so the play area is once again freed up.

I think the issue is whether or not the children need to be able to reach the units, which to me suggests they be closer to the floor, prohibiting the floor access you seek.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        storage in my kids room

I recently purchased bunks with extra storage drawers and a trundle bed underneath. Other than that what about some type shelving installed so the kids can’t reach it?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post