All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    heat pump ?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

heat pump ? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        i plan on building a new home in the future in eastern tennessee(moving from southern ny)the builder recommends a heat pump for the house but i am afraid it will not make the house as warm as my existing house( baseboard type hydronic heating) my wife like a warm house when it gets cold outside, is there any opinions on this or the alternative, there will be a natural gas supply to the house, to stay away from electric heat,, thanks for any inputs jim

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you like hot blasts of air, you won't like a heat pump below about 45 degrees. each model has an efficiency chart in the manual, which manuals can be found on the web. once you get below 2:1 efficiency, the air gets to be a little on the chill side. that should happen around the mid 40s outside.

if you install the heat pump with a gas backup heating source, and have the heating contractor tickle the control computer to kick over to gas at that point, you won't notice.

if you spent an extra $10,000 and up to use a earth-modified heat pump, which these days uses transfer coils of edible antifreeze placed in wells at the water table, you will generally be above 2:1 forever. it's not cost effective over the life of the system, and in Tennessee you might not be able to do it because of rock, but it's bragging rights among the Greens.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5484 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        WOW, I feel uniquely qualified to comment because:

1. I was born and raised in N.E. Jersey
        2. I now live in East Tennessee
        3. Then there's that General Contractor thing.

By far the most common system around here is the heat pump. But the reason it's popular is because it's the cheapest to install. I prefer gas as it will make hot heat. Heat pump heat feels 'cool' as it's only a few degrees above the set temperature. Also, heat pumps get less efficient once you get into the lower 40's. Cold enough and it kicks into direct resistance heat - not very efficient.

I would recommend gas - great since you have natural gas available. My system runs on propane.

There are a fair amount of geothermal units around - it's not all rock. We also have so much water that many of the geothermal set-ups are used with an under-water grid. While geothermal is very efficient, it's also very expensive to install. It usually doesn't become cost effective until you get into the 4,000 SF and up size home.

So Jimbo - what part of East Tennessee are you moving to? I'm just east of Knoxville. If you want any local info, just ask.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks for the replies all information is welcomed,, jaybee we are in the process of pruchasing a 6 acre property in dandridge, any pointers would be helpful as far as heating types, i was just going to go with the same heating we use in newyork(baseboard heating since i have natural gas) and undecided to go with central ac or mini split ac for the rooms, my wife is very concerned about the central ac ducts getting dirty and unable to keep them thoroughly clea,, still have plenty of time to research this.. have a nice day jim

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, here's the deal: You know how in NY you have four full seasons? You got your S p r i n g and then your Summer followed by F a l l and then you get into W i n t e r. Around here we get Spring then full-on into S u m m e r, followed by Fall and finally Wntr.

In other words, you are going to need and use your AC. You do not want to rely on a split AC system or individual AC units in most rooms, you will need a full-on central AC ducted system. Since you already have ducts for the AC, the most efficient and economical method is to have a central heat and AC system combined within the same ductwork. I've been in Tennessee for over 40 years and in my business, I have been in thousands of houses. I can tell you that I have never even seen a nat gas baseboard heat system in any size house in Tennessee.

I strongly recommend that you get a gas furnace with heat pump AC central ducted system. Spec out a system with a good electrostatic air filter and your ducts will remain fairly clean. Go for a full gas furnace, not a duel fuel gas/electric as the duel fuel versions will give you heat pump type barely warm air most of the time.

Dandridge is a beautiful area, right there on the shores of Douglass Lake. Depending on where in Dandridge you are going to be, you'll be about 30 minutes away from where I'm typing this - that's just about neighbors.

With that in mind, check for a PM.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i take it by gas base board heat you are refering to a gas boiler and hydronic heat?
        you can set up a system that will heat your home and your water. with a side arm on your boiler/storage tank
        but... as jaybee has said. are you going with central ac? if so. go with a gas central heat also. only makes sence

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        frodo thanks for the replie, right now i am living with a agas fired boiler with a hot water tank zoned off of it it is pretty energy efficient. thats why i was inquiring about heat pump but now understand by what jaybee said by getting the heat pump with gas burner to make it work for me so i will do some researchh thanks again jim

posted Hide Post
        thanks for your valuable insight
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        if you like hot blasts of air, you won't like a heat pump below about 45 degrees. each model has an efficiency chart in the manual, which manuals can be found on the web. once you get below 2:1 efficiency, the air gets to be a little on the chill side. that should happen around the mid 40s outside.

if you install the heat pump with a gas backup heating source, and have the heating contractor tickle the control computer to kick over to gas at that point, you won't notice.

if you spent an extra $10,000 and up to use a earth-modified heat pump, which these days uses transfer coils of edible antifreeze placed in wells at the water table, you will generally be above 2:1 forever. it's not cost effective over the life of the system, and in Tennessee you might not be able to do it because of rock, but it's bragging rights among the Greens.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post