DIY Message Boards
LED Bulbs won't light

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5633983208

Apr 09, 2014, 01:05 AM
Hutch45
LED Bulbs won't light
I have two light fixtures with three lights on each running off one switch. I have 40W incandescent bulbs in each fixture. I turned the lights on and began replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs which were the equivalent of the 40W incandescent bulbs. When all were replaced, all six LEDs were burning brightly. However, when I turned the switch off and back on, none of the LEDs would light up. Checked circuit breaker and everything was ok there. Replaced the LEDs with the incandescents and they lit right up. Also, I have another light fixture with 3 LED bulbs and when I turn on the light switch there is a short delay before the bulbs light up. Can anyone explain what's happening here?
Apr 09, 2014, 08:55 AM
Jaybee
Are any of those switches dimmer switches? If so, I think that many LED's will not work on a dimmer circuit, just like CFL's - you'll need to replace the switch with a conventional one or get dimmable CFL's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee
Apr 09, 2014, 08:58 AM
Sparky617
LEDs have some electronics that fire up to light the bulb. I've noticed a very short delay before they light up, but when they do they come on at full brightness.

As to why the others won't light, I'd test one of the bulbs in other fixture, if it works there the problem is likely the connection to the bulb in the fixture. The little tab at the bottom of the fixture may need bent out a little bit to make contact with the base of the bulb. The LEDs may not seat as deeply in the socket as the incandescent bulbs you're using today.

It is unlikely you had 6 bulbs suffering from infant mortality all at the same time.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Apr 09, 2014, 09:19 AM
Hutch45
The lights are not on a dimmer and when I first installed them, one at a time, they all lit up. Any other thoughts?
Apr 09, 2014, 10:04 AM
Re-mdlr
I don't know what to tell you Hutch -- but what is happening with bulbs and 'how to light your home' laws these days is a pure tragedy to the american home
Apr 09, 2014, 11:54 AM
swschrad
they are duds. take them back for a full refund, and don't buy that brand again.

by the way, what brand of bulbs were they? there are a bunch of junk bulbs that mostly show up on eBay and at discounters that not only don't last, but are radio jammers.

if you stick with names like Cree, Philips, GE, and Feit, you are likely to have good bulbs. I decided to test a dinky little 3 watt Feit bulb early in the barrage of LED bulbs because of the radio interference issues, and must say, it's quiet in the Ham Cave.

if you have power spikes in your area, I wouldn't expect any of the CFL or LED bulbs to last long. the electronics in the base are almost certainly not protected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 09, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hutch45
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll try a different brand and see if they work. The ones I bought were from Lowes - down't remember the brand name off hand.