DIY Message Boards
Framing ideas?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5583962967

Mar 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
vinny186
Framing ideas?
I'd like to frame the basement window and install bi-fold closet doors that would allow access to the waste drain and water shut off but the window is just a couple inches away from the drain pipe. The stud wall itself is about 20 inches away from the concrete wall.
Any ideas on how to frame this area?

basement

Mar 28, 2013, 04:33 PM
redoverfarm
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do. From the photograph it appears that you already have a wall in place or a portion of one. What is to prevent you from just installing the B-Fold doors on that wall? If you are going to try to just use the B-Fold to cover the windows then that wall needs to be at least 6-8" from the foudation to accomidate the B-fold action with a portion of the door folding to the inside. The rough framed wall is normally trimmed out with 3/4" material on the inside opening with 1/2" protruding on the inside and outside to accomidate drywall. The B-Fold door tracks get mounted to the header portion the exact size of the door ( ie: 24" 36" 48") There is some tolerance built into that measurement for clearences. The inside of that trimmed opening is a rough opening of a B-Fold door.

If you just want to finish the window opening then 3/4" stock placed to the depth of the window on all four sides attached to the rough framing(that window sits in). Then use casing which is 2-1/2" wide mitered around the window opening leaving 1/4" reveal from the edge of the 3/4" stock. Miter all four pieces of the casing.
Mar 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
Jaybee
I'd tear out the framing that we can see in the picture and re-frame with less wasted space.Start with 2x4 furring strips on the block that gets as close as possible to the plumbing on a vertical line. You don't have to go past the drain pipe, just put the outside edge of the furring strip flush with the PVC. Even if you only have a couple of inches, you will only be adding 1/2" drywall - leaving you enough to keep the window from looking like it's shoved into a corner.

Then frame out in front of the drain and supply lines just enough to get past them. Frame in an opening for the door and you are good.

Jaybee
Mar 28, 2013, 11:07 PM
vinny186
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm not exactly sure if this is what you guys were suggesting but I think I'll leave the wall on the right where it is and move the wall on the left side back an inch or so from the window to frame it in and then install a b fold in front of the drain and water line.
Mar 29, 2013, 01:27 AM
Jaybee
That's basically it. The whole idea is to maximize space by building the minimum build out around necessary areas like the plumbing.

Jaybee