DIY Message Boards
Trying to squeeze life out of an old, Craftsman, 9 inch table saw.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5493990587

Dec 22, 2013, 10:27 PM
SturdyNail
Trying to squeeze life out of an old, Craftsman, 9 inch table saw.
Hi,

Several years ago, I inherited a Craftsman table saw (model 113.241730) from my father-in-law.
I can't afford to buy a new one, so I'm wondering if there are "after market" or generic parts that could make the saw more usable.
Many of the parts are listed as "no longer available" from Sears. And the parts that are available are ridiculously expensive. The knob used to raise the blade was over $30 dollars, so I'm still using a vise grip.
I'd like a new guard and a splitter, because it was impossible to get the one that came with the saw to remain stable and aligned.
And, I have a heck of a time keeping the fence square to the blade.
On the plus side, it has a very sturdy metal deck.

Is it possible to find non-Sears parts that will be compatible with this saw? Even the 9" blade is fairly rare.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Dec 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
redoverfarm
Sears does not make it's own products sold under the Sears or Craftsman name. Other manufacturers make them. I once had a site that you could cross reference that information but have misplaced it. Maybe someone else here would have that. If so you can find out who actually made it and order parts through them. Sorry I wasn't much help.